Cortisone 30 mg is it dangerous?

Hi there, I have alopecia for 15 years now, on front-sides of my head and and at the back (above my neck), so my dermatologist has prescribed me to take cortisone pills 30mg to be taken everyday for a month and then reduce the dosage each month later (total period will be 3 months) plus taking 1 pill of Imuran everyday,, my concern is that 30mg/day of cortisone is a heavy dosage and might easily develop side effects?!! Can you please advice me?

You need to ask your doctor about the treatment you are receiving. All medications can cause side effects.

You need to ask your doctor about the treatment you are receiving.  All medications can cause side effects.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cortisone 30 mg is it dangerous?

There are different types of alopecia. We are not sure what the dermatologist is treating you for so we cannot and should not answer an opinion as to that. However in general when taking cortisone, you will not likely develop side effects unless you stop the cortisone abruptly. You must taper after you've been on it more than six days.if you are having second thoughts about your treatment please talk with your dermatologist and have a great day.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Prednisone side effects

If you are going to use prednisone and cortisone you need to understand all the side effects.It can be an incredible medication but needs to be respected and you need to be under the care of a dermatologist who understands how to use. I suspect if you are using Prednisone and Imuran, you have an experienced dermatologist.
Here's a link to some of the side effects of prednisone. I was responsible for writing this list so it gives a good overview of side effects.

Danger of using cortisone 30 mg?

intom,Of course there are concerns about using cortisone beyond 2 weeks. It is impossible to render an opinion because we do no know what your physician knows about your condition. What is his diagnosis? Please follow his instructions.
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is 30 mgs cortisone dangerous

If you are under the care of your doctor, he must be working on a diagnosis that he feels requires this drug. Stick to your doctor or get another opinion in person not over the internet

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon