What procedures would fix my vagina? Would I need more than one? About how much would it cost? What is the downtime? (Photos)

I'm 19 and I am incredibly self conscious of my vagain. I think it is deformed, I have no labi major, I have a triangle pice of skin that hangs out in the opening and my labi minor is so dark and wrinkly. I have only had sex a few times, last time I did the guy told me I had roast beef curtains, since then my hatred of my vagain has only gotten worse. I'm scared to have sex because it is so ugly.

Self-Conscious about Vagina

I am sorry that your recent sexual experience has added to your feeling of self-consciousness about the appearance of your vagina.  In reviewing your photos, I would say that you look normal, however, you do have a hymenal remnant protruding from the vaginal opening at the 6 o'clock position - this can easily be trimmed under local anesthetic in a doctor's office.  Your labia minora are somewhat larger than average, but I would still not label them as "abnormal."  That being said, if you would prefer smaller labia for any reason, then you would be a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure, possibly also with a clitoral hood reduction.  The cost of doing all of the above will vary, depending upon surgeon, but you can expect to pay in the neighborhood of $5000, give or take.  "Downtime" after these procedures will be minimal (in terms of time off work or school, limited physical activity) - usually only a day or two, however, "sexual downtime" will be 6 weeks on average (meaning no vaginal sex for 6 weeks).  Usually, this area heals quickly and women actually feel like they could resume sexual activity sooner, but don't be fooled - those incisions need to fully heal before they are put to the test, in order to avoid re-opening the incisions.  Best of luck and please update the RealSelf community if you decide to go through with surgery; sharing your experience will help many others on this site.

Bellevue OB/GYN

Labiaplasty

First and foremost your last partner sounds like a jerk.   There is nothing wrong with your labias but if they really make you feel self conscious and bother you, then you might want to consider a labiaplasty.   Make sure you do your homework and find someone with experience and that you feel comfortable with. 

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN

Don't cave in to a vaginal bully

The baseless comments of irrelvant others should not be a factor that drives you to seek cosmetic surgery. Put simply, you have a self esteem issue and normal anatomy. Surgery will not fix this. If you wish to have a different appearance solely for the sake of the appearance, then go for it, but if you also have significant emotional issues over your appearance, the services of a mental healthcare professional are something you should seek first. There is absolutely nothiing abnormal about the way you look.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Ditch that guy forever

That's first of all.
Second of all, you have normal variation of the vagina. Some ladies have enlarged labia minora genetically. That is more common than most women (and men) realize.
That said, you can have a few small procedures and be done with these issues, and they can all be done together.
The first would be to remove the small hymenal tag (pink tissue) that's protruding from the vaginal opening. 
The second is a labiaplasty or labia minora reduction to reduce the size of the inner labia.
You may also benefit from a labial puff procedure, or filling of the outer labia with your own fat that can be removed from another area (inner thighs or tummy or hips).
All of these procedures can be done at the same time under anesthetic, either IV or general anesthesia. 
Be very picky with your surgeon. Make sure they have good reviews and photos. Be willing to travel if you don't find the right doctor near you!

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD

I hate my vagina!

Hello Sophia,
I'm sorry about your recent experience. I know how devastating this must have been for you since it is a common story amongst my patients. First of all, you're not deformed, you simply have large, dark labia minora that can be reduced to give you a natural, cleaner look. This can be performed in the office under local anesthesia with minimal post-op pain. Your clitoral hood is slightly enlarged, but it isn't what seems to be bothering. You may opt to have this reduced and lifted as well, but not necessary to give you the look that you want.
The triangle piece of skin is a large hymenal remnant that can be reduced at the same time. This is also present at 3 and 9 o'clock and these could also be reduced.
Your labia majora are present, they are simply not as full as other women's. Once your inner labia are aesthetically reduced you won't be bothered by your smaller outer labia. They'll actually match nicely.
As you do your research and read your wonderful responses from the physician community please be sure to look at the before and after photos of the surgeons you're considering. Please go to link below for information on choosing the best surgeon for you and to look at a large number of photos. You should also read patient testimonials and ask to speak with patients who've had your procedure.
Experience and having an aesthetic eye is critical.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are enlarged but are in the range of normal. I am sorry you had a bad experience with an insensitive partner. If you are very self-conscious,  alabiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty

First of all, your labia are not as bad as you make them out to be. They are a common length. However, if you want them to look better aesthetically, you are definitely a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. Details are on my website. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Procedures needed??

Ms Sophia, I am truly sorry to hear about the negative experience that you had with one ignorant male that you have had relations with. Studies have shown he is in the minority as in a recent published study, the majority of men did not care what their partners labia looked like nor paid attention to it. Labia come in all size, shapes and color and yours are normal as they fit into this category, and they are not "deformed" as you state. If they bother you either with symptoms or cosmetically then it is reasonable to look into the possibility of cosmetic vaginal surgery with labiaplasty and reduction of the excesss prepuce in the region of the clitoral hood. Additionally, that small piece of skin is called a hymenal remnant and is just a skin tag that is hanging down and can easily be removed at time of labiaplasty or at a separate time. 

Costs vary, however if the cost seems very low we would recommend you think twice before going!! If it seems too good to be true, then it is!! Most experienced and reputable cosmetic vaginal surgeons charge around the same range in fees. Typically surgeon fees are in the range of 4-7k for labiaplasty w/ prepuce reduction and then and additional fee for the labia majora reduction. Given that you are a young woman it is SO important for you to go to a surgeon that has extensive experience and training in cosmetic vaginal surgery. There are many surgeons jumping into this field with very little experience and this affects outcomes in a very negative way. We recommend that you consult w/ a Board Certified Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for this type of procedure. However, just because someone is board certified in EITHER of these fields, it does not mean they are an expert, have additional training in cosmetic vaginal surgery or have done very many of these procedures. Make sure you ask these questions!! There are separate facility fees for anesthesia and the facility as we recommend these procedures are done at a surgical facility with the patient asleep for the best cosmetic outcomes. I would also recommend considering travelling to find this type of expertise if not available in your community. Downtime typically is just a couple days out of work or school, but then have to limit exercise for a few weeks.

Best of luck to you

Dr Robert D Moore, FACOG, FPMRS, FACS

Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon/Urogynecologist

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty and hymenal caruncle removal

Dear Sophia

Thank you for your pictures and sharing you story.  All women are considered normal but sometimes ignorant people will say ignorant things.   If you are unhappy with the appearance you will probably consider a labia minora reduction and hymenal caruncle removal. They can be done at the same time with no sexual intercourse for 6 weeks after the labiaplasty.  Different surgeons have varying prices depending upon their skill, expertise and experience.  I charge $4500 for a labia reduction surgery but this does not include the operating room and anesthesia; The average time to perform your surgery would be one hour.  

I recommend choosing a surgeon who has experience, expertise and fantastic results.  Don't choose a surgeon by low cost as the results often can be extremely disappointing and in some situations the results are not even fixable.  Research your surgeon wisely.  You need not have a board certified plastic surgeon but preferably a board certified gynecologist or a plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in labiaplasty surgery.

John R Miklos MD
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Vaginal aesthetics can be improved

with labiaplasty and removal of your hanging remnants.  But your vulva is not deformed and the guy who made the insensitive remark is an idiot (and you can tell him that) for not appreciating you for who you are.  Most guys won't care about what you're worried about so I would hope you can also relax a little as well.  But if you want to improve the aesthetics, you can certainly benefit from procedures what any well trained surgeon WITH good judgment can provide for you.  A trim would help remove the wrinkled brown edges if you're wanting to be rid of it and a hood reduction could also help.  Prices vary widely so do your homework and go for it if you think it will help your psyche.

Curtis Wong, MD