What procedures would fix my vagina? Would I need more than one? About how much would it cost? What is the downtime? (Photos)

I'm 19 and I am incredibly self conscious of my vagain. I think it is deformed, I have no labi major, I have a triangle pice of skin that hangs out in the opening and my labi minor is so dark and wrinkly. I have only had sex a few times, last time I did the guy told me I had roast beef curtains, since then my hatred of my vagain has only gotten worse. I'm scared to have sex because it is so ugly.

I hate my vagina!

Hello Sophia,
I'm sorry about your recent experience. I know how devastating this must have been for you since it is a common story amongst my patients. First of all, you're not deformed, you simply have large, dark labia minora that can be reduced to give you a natural, cleaner look. This can be performed in the office under local anesthesia with minimal post-op pain. Your clitoral hood is slightly enlarged, but it isn't what seems to be bothering. You may opt to have this reduced and lifted as well, but not necessary to give you the look that you want.
The triangle piece of skin is a large hymenal remnant that can be reduced at the same time. This is also present at 3 and 9 o'clock and these could also be reduced.
Your labia majora are present, they are simply not as full as other women's. Once your inner labia are aesthetically reduced you won't be bothered by your smaller outer labia. They'll actually match nicely.
As you do your research and read your wonderful responses from the physician community please be sure to look at the before and after photos of the surgeons you're considering. Please go to link below for information on choosing the best surgeon for you and to look at a large number of photos. You should also read patient testimonials and ask to speak with patients who've had your procedure.
Experience and having an aesthetic eye is critical.

Denver Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are enlarged but are in the range of normal. I am sorry you had a bad experience with an insensitive partner. If you are very self-conscious,  alabiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Self-Conscious about Vagina

I am sorry that your recent sexual experience has added to your feeling of self-consciousness about the appearance of your vagina.  In reviewing your photos, I would say that you look normal, however, you do have a hymenal remnant protruding from the vaginal opening at the 6 o'clock position - this can easily be trimmed under local anesthetic in a doctor's office.  Your labia minora are somewhat larger than average, but I would still not label them as "abnormal."  That being said, if you would prefer smaller labia for any reason, then you would be a good candidate for a labiaplasty procedure, possibly also with a clitoral hood reduction.  The cost of doing all of the above will vary, depending upon surgeon, but you can expect to pay in the neighborhood of $5000, give or take.  "Downtime" after these procedures will be minimal (in terms of time off work or school, limited physical activity) - usually only a day or two, however, "sexual downtime" will be 6 weeks on average (meaning no vaginal sex for 6 weeks).  Usually, this area heals quickly and women actually feel like they could resume sexual activity sooner, but don't be fooled - those incisions need to fully heal before they are put to the test, in order to avoid re-opening the incisions.  Best of luck and please update the RealSelf community if you decide to go through with surgery; sharing your experience will help many others on this site.

Procedures needed??

Ms Sophia, I am truly sorry to hear about the negative experience that you had with one ignorant male that you have had relations with. Studies have shown he is in the minority as in a recent published study, the majority of men did not care what their partners labia looked like nor paid attention to it. Labia come in all size, shapes and color and yours are normal as they fit into this category, and they are not "deformed" as you state. If they bother you either with symptoms or cosmetically then it is reasonable to look into the possibility of cosmetic vaginal surgery with labiaplasty and reduction of the excesss prepuce in the region of the clitoral hood. Additionally, that small piece of skin is called a hymenal remnant and is just a skin tag that is hanging down and can easily be removed at time of labiaplasty or at a separate time. 

Costs vary, however if the cost seems very low we would recommend you think twice before going!! If it seems too good to be true, then it is!! Most experienced and reputable cosmetic vaginal surgeons charge around the same range in fees. Typically surgeon fees are in the range of 4-7k for labiaplasty w/ prepuce reduction and then and additional fee for the labia majora reduction. Given that you are a young woman it is SO important for you to go to a surgeon that has extensive experience and training in cosmetic vaginal surgery. There are many surgeons jumping into this field with very little experience and this affects outcomes in a very negative way. We recommend that you consult w/ a Board Certified Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for this type of procedure. However, just because someone is board certified in EITHER of these fields, it does not mean they are an expert, have additional training in cosmetic vaginal surgery or have done very many of these procedures. Make sure you ask these questions!! There are separate facility fees for anesthesia and the facility as we recommend these procedures are done at a surgical facility with the patient asleep for the best cosmetic outcomes. I would also recommend considering travelling to find this type of expertise if not available in your community. Downtime typically is just a couple days out of work or school, but then have to limit exercise for a few weeks.

Best of luck to you

Dr Robert D Moore, FACOG, FPMRS, FACS

Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon/Urogynecologist

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty

Vaginal labia come in all different sizes. There is nothing wrong with your vaginal lips.
If you feel uncomfortable having large protruberant  vaginal lips labiaplasty may be an option for you.
Labiaplasty is a procedure that reduces the size of your vaginal lips. Hooding of the clitoris can also be reduced at this time. My patients tell me that pain is negligble after surgery.
After the surgery patients  feel more confident and are pleased with their appearance . This is a relatively short procedure. I hope you find this useful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Do I need a labiaplasty?

Dear Sophie ,

Thank you for writing in with your story and questions, and for sharing your photos.

First of all, please don't let what ignorant partners say affect you.  Your body's development is normal even if you don't like the way it looks.  Don't do anything surgical for someone else, only yourself.

When girls go through puberty, estrogen stimulates the breasts and the labia to grow in size, change color and thickness, and sometimes become uneven.  We come in all shapes and sizes and it is when your body doesn't work the way you want it to or if you really don't like how it looks, that you have options.  There are many comfort and functional problems women have (like hygiene, pain or pinching with activities, exercise and sex, problems with placing tampons, etc.) as well as appearance concerns.  What you see hanging out of the opening is a piece of your hymen which was torn during sex.  This can be easily removed in the office with local anesthesia.

If you are truly unhappy with the appearance of your labia, know there are two types of labiaplasty procedures--those that trim the edges (the traditional edge-reducing labiaplasty) and those that keep the natural pigmented edges (the various wedge techniques-inferior, posterior and central).  There is a slightly higher risk of the edges separating with the wedge techniques due to tension on the incisions and surgeon experience.  You also may benefit from a small amount of tissue removed from the sides of the hood.  For more information about these procedures, please visit the link below.

Be sure to research cosmetic gynecologists, uro-gynecologists and plastic surgeons who are highly experienced in performing these procedures.  See lots of before and after pictures and discuss how they address post-op complications when they occur.  The surgery takes about an a hour and a half, with minimal blood loss and minimal scarring when done by a trained surgeon.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Ditch that guy forever

That's first of all.
Second of all, you have normal variation of the vagina. Some ladies have enlarged labia minora genetically. That is more common than most women (and men) realize.
That said, you can have a few small procedures and be done with these issues, and they can all be done together.
The first would be to remove the small hymenal tag (pink tissue) that's protruding from the vaginal opening. 
The second is a labiaplasty or labia minora reduction to reduce the size of the inner labia.
You may also benefit from a labial puff procedure, or filling of the outer labia with your own fat that can be removed from another area (inner thighs or tummy or hips).
All of these procedures can be done at the same time under anesthetic, either IV or general anesthesia. 
Be very picky with your surgeon. Make sure they have good reviews and photos. Be willing to travel if you don't find the right doctor near you!

Costs, Options and Downtime for a Labiaplasty Candidate

A #candidate for a #Labiaplasty procedure is one concerned about the appearance of her labia or experiences pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.
#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.
However, surgery is the most common treatment. It can usually corrected your concern in less than one hour with the use of a local anaesthetic. Often, many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Costs for #CosmeticLabIaplasty and #CosmeticFemaleSurgery depend upon the specific surgery that is requested, type of anaesthesia, experience of the surgery, and geographic location.
Estimated fees can be found here on Real Self, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery website.

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months explain your post procedure instructions in better detail.

Labiaplasty

First of all, your labia are not as bad as you make them out to be. They are a common length. However, if you want them to look better aesthetically, you are definitely a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery. Details are on my website. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty

First and foremost your last partner sounds like a jerk.   There is nothing wrong with your labias but if they really make you feel self conscious and bother you, then you might want to consider a labiaplasty.   Make sure you do your homework and find someone with experience and that you feel comfortable with.