Is it ok to wear a wire free bra? (photo)

This bra that I bought today is a wire free bra and it supports my breast better than the front closures. I'm not sure if it's to thin around the band and may rise up against my insicions. Don't want that so tell me what you all think! Thanks!

Is it ok to wear a wire free bra after breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras.

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.  You are correct in that it is important to avoid significant abrasion of healing incision lines by the bra.

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Is it ok to wear a wire free bra?

Thank you for your question.  How many days out from surgery are you?  In my practice, if it supports the breasts and feels comfortable, then it works well.  Be sure to check with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Best support post op breast surgery

Congratulations for success thus far.  Immediately post op I avoid support bras since the fresh suture lines can be easily injured.  Generally I hold off recommending support bras for 3-4 weeks.  Best to check with your surgeon.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction bra

Every doctor has different post op instructions so you should ask your surgeon what would work for you.
The dressings vary from patient to patient. Some patients may be placed in a sports bra; others will wear a stabilizing elastic support strap. Your doctor will decide after surgery and in subsequent weeks, which dressing will suit your needs

Selecting Bras After a Breast Reduction

If an post-operative sports #bra is not provided, we recommend purchasing a couple of basic sports bras for your few weeks of #recovery. Its best to select those which fasten in the front to avoid strain from attempting to reach to your back. It's important to wear this support during recovery and to avoid underwire bras until you have your surgeon's approval.
The #bra acts as a “dressing,” holding the breasts in position. If the bra feels too tight or hurts, switch immediately to sports type bra that feels comfortable. You should wear the bra at all times for at least three weeks.
Moreover, it is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Post op Bra After Breast Reduction

The bra may be fine, however, it is best to check with your surgeon. Each surgeon has their own preference for post surgical garments. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Is it ok to wear a wire free bra

Thank you for the question and picture.   I would recommend you check with your surgeon about his/her preference.   Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

OK to Wear Wire Free Bra?

Thank you very much for your question, and for the picture.

Every surgeon has their own preferences regarding postoperative care, including garments.  I wouldn't want to recommend something that is contrary to what your surgeon would want.  I recommend you call their office and ask, as they will be able to give you the most personalized recommendations.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon