Would you suggest lipo or bursectomy to fix this hardened seroma according to the ultrasound pics? (Photos)

I have a seroma that has become hardened on some area based on my ultrasound pictures. Ive received varied opinions on how they will resolve this issue. Some say lipo will easily fix it and others suggest an incision through the tummy tuck and inserting a drain. I want to make the right choice. What would your coarse of action be and why? Thanks

Would you suggest lipo or bursectomy to fix this hardened seroma according to the ultrasound pics?

Some of this will depend upon the chronicity of the wound.  Removing the area can create a dent.  Sometimes the cavity can be sealed by suturing it back together to prevent the dent.

Seroma after tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck seroma.

• I am sorry this happened -
  • It is not fat and cannot be removed with liposuction. 
  • Because it contains cystic and solid material, there is no option except surgical removal of the seroma and its entire lining. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Seroma has hardened , what to do?

radiofrequency treatments like exilis, legacy, vanquish can be combined with shock therapy/vibrational therapy such as cellutone/z wave to help improvement this.  however, if wallted out and fibrotic, it should be removed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pseudobursa?

If this is a chronic serum with a pseudobursa cavity, then likely the only treatment that will be adequate is excision.

Treatment of fluid collection after tummy tuck

- if within first 2 weeks after your tummy tuck : probably hematoma : surgical drainage 

- if  between 2 weeks and less than 6 months  after your tummy tuck : probably seroma : try aspiration with a large needle.

- if more than 6 months : surgical excision 

However, these are only some rough guidelines and cannot replace the opinion of your own surgeon or another experienced surgeon

Bert Oelbrandt, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Based on the information provided, a bursectomy may be the better solution. An in person evaluation is needed. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Seroma

Thank you for your question. Based on your description of hardening, most likely lipo will not work. I think surgical drainage or excision is probably best. 

Would you suggest lipo or bursectomy to fix this hardened seroma according to the US pics.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question and photographs.  Though it is not clear how long it has been since your tummy tuck, the reports of a hardened and walled off fluid collection indicates that surgical removal of this seroma/hematoma is indicated.  I would advocate for reopening your TT incision and complete removal of the collection's wall and internal contents.  A combination of suturing techniques and drain placement can then reduce your risk of recurrence.  Hope this helps.

I can't imagine who would have suggested liposuction, but they certainly had no knowledge of how to treat this problem. The entire wall of the seroma needs to be excised. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD