How soon can you resume excersising after liposuction?

Liposuction and Exercise

I suggest asking your physician as I limit my patients from exercise for 4 weeks after hi def liposuction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Exercise And Liposuction

The answer depends on a few different factors. How extensive was the liposuction? What part of the body was treated by your liposuction procedure? And what sort of exercise are we talking about?

Generally speaking, you can return to light physical activity within a day or two of the procedure- think light walking to get the blood flowing and stimulate healing. Returning to your full, pre-liposuction exercise routine (including weight lifting and strenuous physical activity) will take a few weeks. Plan on between three and four weeks away from that routine.

Of course, every patient is unique, and the important thing is to listen to what your board-certified plastic surgeon is telling you. Follow his or her recommendations and make sure you take the time you need to recover.

Michael F. McGuire, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Recovery after Lipo

You can drive likely when you get home. Just have to be off of pain killers and comfortably to react to situations on
the road normally. You can do Zumba when you feel up to it. Patients after multisite liposuction are generally back to
moderate cardio at around two weeks. You can be doing as much light to moderate activity as you want from now.

Resuming Exercise After Liposuction

Dear KneeSea,

It is important to take it easy after any surgical procedure, including liposuction, so that you can heal.

Most patients are able to resume light daily activities within a few days and light exercising within a few weeks.

How quickly you will recover depends on your body as well as the extent of surgery. You should follow your surgeon's guidance and instructions regarding the specifics of your aftercare and recovery.

Warmest wishes,
Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Resuming exercise after liposuction.

In my practice I permit patients to resume athletic activity as soon as they wish after liposuction. Usually soreness restricts many activities for a few days.

Liposuction and Return to Activity

Thank you for your question!

Once sutures are removed, typically after a week, a compression garment should be worn 24 hrs a day for up to 3-4 weeks, then 12 hours/day for the next 3-4 weeks. The compression garment will help reduce swelling and ensure proper healing. Most patients return to non-strenuous activity within 1 - 2 weeks, depending on the number of areas treated and the volume of fat that was removed. Return to strenuous activities is usually within 4 - 6 weeks.

Do not resume your normal physical activities without first being released to do so by your plastic surgeon. Be sure to only research board certified plastic surgeons in your area then schedule a consultation for a thorough physical exam to confirm you are a candidate for liposuction.

Best Wishes!

Liposuction - how soon until exercise

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • A lot depends on how much liposuction you have and where.
  • On average, walking is fine after a week and resuming exercise is ok at 2 weeks -
  • Your own surgeon however knows if this is good advice for you.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Your body needs time to heal

Physiologically any wound needs time to heal, in liposuction there are small cuts in the surface, however there are significant surgical effects inside. Typically takes around 3 weeks for any wound, to obtain 80% of the final strength. This is the reason why any surgeon, no matter ther specialty, should tell patients to take it easy for at least 3 weeks, however every body is different and the patient should listen to his/her body. I usually tell patients that undergo liposuction, that they can start gentle exercise after 3 weeks but if they feel tenderness or pain they need to slow down. Most patients will take 4-8 weeks to go back to heavy exercise.
Be sure you seek the help of a board certified surgeon, preferably a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.(ASAPS)

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after lipo

it depends on the number of areas that had lipo and how fat was removed and the type and extent of your exercise. it also depends on your own amount of bruising and swelling after surgery. 

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients avoid strenuous activity/exercise for 3-4 weeks depending on the extend of the procedure.  I have provided a link to my postop instructions for liposuction for you convenience.  However, each surgeon has slightly different recommendations for postop activity and may have specific instructions for your procedure.  Best wishes!