What procedure would I need to correct loose skin from under chin and neck? (Photo)

I have lost 146 lbs and I look so much older in my face. What can I get done to gain more of youthful look. Also I have hanging skin under chin and neck area. Would face lift or neck lift be needed?

Common problem following successful weight loss

• Following significant weight loss, I recommend waiting approximately 3-6 months at that weight to ensure good nutritional status which is so important as you heal.  That being said a standard SMAS cheek and neck lift should restore your lower face and neck regions to a more youthful appearance.

Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  In the photograph you show here, your face looks great.  Based on your description and question, I presume you are more concerned about your neck in the lateral profile view.   If you do have hanging skin in the neck, then a necklift may be very helpful.  If good technique is used, this can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lower face and neck lift after 146 pound weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss, that is a significant amount of weight! When patients have a massive weight loss such as this, the skin in the face and neck can become like a deflated balloon. Many patients even at a younger age can be benefited from a facelift procedure to tighten this loose and inelastic skin due to the massive weight loss. A full set of facial and neck photographs from all angles are required to make a determination about a surgical procedure such as a facelift. In our practice, a lower face and neck lift can accomplish tightening lLoose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, and removing any residual fatty deposits in the neck. For more information and many before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below

Facelift options

Congrats on your weight loss. it looks like you might do well with just a standard type of facelift. Your brows look like they are in good position and your eyelids look pretty good. Of course it's hard to tell exactly from this one photo. That's why an exam is really needed. You should do  get a great result. Go for it. Good luck.

Face and Neck Lift Post Massive Weight Loss

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. What an achievement! Second, based on your photos, you don't look like you need a facelift. You look fantastic. But a photo is not an in person exam. So, my best advice would be for you to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your region and schedule a consultation to discuss your options. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Procedures for Loose Neck Skin

Thank you for your question, and the pictures.

Congratulations on your weight loss!  From the pictures, it is difficult to say exactly which procedures would be best for you.  Some more views are needed to make specific recommendations.  The best thing to do is to have a consult with a local/regional plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  They may recommend surgical necklifting, or perhaps an energy device to help tighten the skin somewhat.

-Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Loose neck skin after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!  If your weight has stabilized it is reasonable to consider surgical options for skin laxity of the face and neck.  In general patients that have undergone significant weight loss often have greater laxity of the skin and deeper structures and need a more extensive surgical effort to obtain satisfactory results.  A formal consultation is needed to determine what your best options are.

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

What procedure would I need to correct loose skin from under chin and neck? (Photo

You should be proud to have lost so much weight. The hanging skin in your neck can be corrected with a necklift. It is difficult to evaluate the rest of your face well from your photos. You may also be a good candidate for a midface lift as well. Seek a consultation with an experienced facelift surgeon. Good luck.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial rejuvenation after weight loss

Your skin quality looks good and it's hard to see what your neck looks like without a profile view. That said there are surgical and nonsurgical options to rejuvenate the neck and submental (under chin) area. See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and facial rejuvenation

Hard to tell from the limited photos what's going on.  A consultation of course would be invaluable for making a recommendation.  However, in general, with that amount of weight loss you may be a candidate for a face and neck lift and volume restoration with fat or off the shelf products.  A board certified plastic surgeon can help you navigate these options and would be a great place to start.  Congratulations on the life altering weight loss and the new chapter in your life!