Is my incision infected? (Photo)

I had a breast lift/augmentation on June 23. Yesterday i noticed the bottom of my breast where the incision started was red, warm and more painful. No pus is present. Could a stitch be trying to come out, or is it infected?

Is my incision infected?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I agree with you that it appears that a stitch along the lower portion of your incision has become irritated and developed a localized area of inflammation.  This will likely lead to your body spitting the stitch and need for removal by your plastic surgeon.  In the meantime keep the area clean and covered by gauze. 

Is my incision infected

Thanks for your question and photos.  Red, warm, and more painful are all reasons to be evaluated.  Best of luck.

Incision redness

It appears that you are reacting to the sutures inferiorly, but there is likely a superficial infection surrounding it. You may "spit" the suture or have part of it open at the bottom. I would F/U with your PS frequently to be sure that it doesnt get worse. Keep it clean and wash it gently, apply some antibacterial ointment to help in the interim.
good luck,

Is my incision infected

Thank you for your question. It may be suture or early infection. Personal evaluation needed. Please call your PS and discuss with this .

Infected Incision

It is hard to say without an in person exam. Looks like maybe just a stitch that is coming to the surface. It would be best for you to just follow up with you surgeon just to be on the safe side.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Could be a spitting suture

From the photograph, it does appear that there is some redness and elevation of the bottom part of your vertical scar. This may be due to irritation from a spitting suture. I would recommend you go back to see your plastic surgeon for advice and treatment.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

May be mild infection

Thank you for the question and photo.  It's hard to know for certain but there may be a mild infection at the bottom of your breast lift incision.  To make sure it is best to see your plastic surgeon.  Antibiotics may be prescribed and monitoring may be advised.  If it doesn't get better or gets worse the bottom of the incision may be opened up to allow the fluid to come out.  This would happen in the office under local anesthesia.

Good luck with the remainder of your healing.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast augmentgation suture

You may have a suture coming to the surface. Contact your surgeon to be seen for treatment, if ecessary. Keep the area clean and dry until seen. Best of luck.

Incision needs attention

Contact your surgeon for an appointment.  You may have an infected suture.  Keep the area clean while waiting to see your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Needs a check

Call your doctor to alert them.
You are developing most likely a suture infection or extrusion that will need some treatment.
Start with antibiotic ointment and guaze to cover the area.