Is it okay to have a Digital Mammogram 1 week prior to Breast Augmentation?

Is it okay to have a digital mammogram one week prior to Breast Augmentation? I'm just concerned it will cause any problems like swelling/pain etc prior to my surgery? Since digital mammogram results can be interpreted 1-2 business days, I should have my results back prior to my big day! =)

Mammogram before breast surgery?

Thank you for your question. There is no problem having a mammogram before surgery and in fact, you NEED to have a mammogram before any breast surgery if you are over the age of 40 or have a family history of breast cancer.  Important to do your due diligence to make sure all is well for your big day.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Digital mammogram prior to surgery

Women over 40 years old or with a significant family history of breast carcinoma should obtain a mammogram prior to breast surgery. Having a digital mammogram one week before your operation is not a problem. It is important that your plastic surgeon obtain the results of your digital mammogram prior to surgery. Approximately one year later, you should return for your annual mammogram which will become your new baseline mammogram.

Phillip Dahan, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

Hi. There is no problem having a mammogram just before your breast augmentation. All the best with your surgery. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

It should be fine to perform a digital mammogram before your surgery. If you had said a week after surgery, I would have said no.

Mammogram before Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. The mammogram before surgery would not be an issue. In fact many surgeons have their patients undergo mammography prior to breast augmentation, especially if they are older and/or have a family history of breast cancer. 

William McClure, MD

It will be fine to have the mammogram prior to surgery. Any modest swelling from the procedure will have no effect on your surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mammography Prior to Breast Aug

Digital mammography prior to breast augmentation should be just fine.  This will not affect the ability to have the surgery performed nor should it affect the outcome.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS

Mammography pre breast augmentation

I always make sure that my patients have a clean breast bill of health prior to any breast surgery. I usually get this a little earlier than one week before surgery so if there are any issues they can be addressed. No physical problem at one week though.

Yes, it is okay for mammography.

Thank you for your excellent question. Yes digital mammography is a good idea before breast augmentation. Particularly if you are over the age of 35 or at a breast cancer history a preoperative mammogram is suggested. Good luck with your surgery. Very 

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Digital Mammogram Before Breast Augmenation

Yes! Your surgeon has probably requested a mammogram prior to your elective breast surgery.  It is wise to get a baseline mammogram before changing the breast architecture. 

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon