Are Mentor III Memory Gel Anatomically Shaped Implants Any Good?

What are your feelings on the Mentor III Memory Gel anatomically shaped implants? I am a retired thoroughbred jockey at 5 ft 4 in 104 lbs and wondered if the anatomical shape of gummy bears would give a more natural appearance?

Mentor MemoryShape Implants are Fantastic!

I now prefer 'anatomic' 'tear drop' 'shaped' (Mentor calls them MemoryShape) implants over round for their better performance over time:  
(4 times less capsular contracture and 4 times less rupture/suspected rupture when compared to round.) The 10 year statistics suggest they are a better and longer lasting product. 

AND, the ability to control the height, width and projection, which I have found can give a look that is more customizable (a much better fit) to each patient.  

AND, I think they look prettier and more natural!  

Their popularity is growing fast!  

No doubt. ANATOMIC implants (Allergan, Mentor)

Thank you for your question. If yo asked me about this sub 15 years ago, i would answer that ROUND IMPLANTS were the best with no doubt. Since 1997 we have in Spain & Europe the ANATOMIC SHAPED IMPLANTS. Currently 80% people demand anatomic shaped implants (an almost 99% in >30 years old) - in primary aesthetic breast augmentation. We perform and average of 600 augmentation surgeries in a year, so I think the data is quite representative. In the other hand, in best Hospitals of Spain (European leader in Plastic Surgery) the ratio ANATOMICAL:ROUND is 4:1 in primary aesthetic augmentation mammoplasties. I think that in USA, FDA promotes a highly defensive medicine/surgery; but the anatomical shape "fever" will arrive...

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Nice results can be obtained with most implants

Although I do not personally care for shaped or so-called anatomic implants because my patients can't massage them there are some plastic surgeons who do. The newest generation of gummy bear type implants have not yet been approved by the FDA, we hope the approval will come soon. My personal preference is the currently approved cohesive gel implants. I think these give a very pretty, natural result.. You have a great pre-op shape of your breasts and should be able to achieve a very nice natural appearance with a cohesive gel implant. Discuss your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

One of many options

The anatomeic gel implants will be one of the options for patients and ideally the options will be individualized for each patient. The differences between the available implants can be discussed with you surgeon. Right now they appear to be a great option for certain situations.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Shaped, Form Stable Breast Implants

Sientra and Allergan have shaped form stable breast implants. Shaped-form stable breasts implants are implants that are designed with a lower point of maximal projection, and they are designed with what is considered an anatomic shape. In some patients they provide a more natural appearing breast augmentation result. This is a shaped form-stable implant. They come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. This one is a little bit taller than it is wide. It has a fairly low point of maximal projection, and it’s an intermediate projection implant. Are shaped form-stable implants the best device for every patient? Well, no. If you have a breast that’s already full in the lower pole and somewhat elongated, you will get a perfectly good result with a round implant in most cases. However, if you have a very small starting breast volume (A or small B), and especially if you need to have the inframammary fold lowered to achieve an ideal implant position on the chest wall then shaped form-stable implants provide a lot of advantages. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natural appearing breast augmentation

You have excellent appearing breasts that will accept any modest sized implants and produce a natural appearance.

Although the sound of anatomic implants may seem appealing, the aesthetic results are challenging with an implant that could aggravate the subtle asymmetry that you already exhibit: You right is slightly larger and your left nipple is slightly lower. Anatomic implants can be smooth or textured. Rotation of a shaped implant can distort an actually accentuate the mild asymmetry you have.

In my opinion go with a lower projecting round implant in order to achieve a "natural" appearance.

Shaped implants may not be for everyone

The Mentor product that you ask about is a wonderful implant, however the use and need of a shaped implant is a very controversial one. I am happy to give you my own point of view, though you will come to see others may have a very different opinion.

We consider breast augmentation a breast enhancement procedure. All individuals have unique characteristics within the breast and augmentation effectively enhances the natural breast shape and size. The vast majority of patients will do quite well with a round smooth breast implant of moderate profile of either a saline or silicone gel fill, placed into a position which maintains the best cover and softness over time; a submuscular position. The smooth round implant will not create friction in the pocket and blend well with the breast tissue with a soft and natural result. They are more likely to move and flow with the breast and look well from all positions.

A shaped implant of a very cohesive gel is designed to maintain its shape and impart this characteristic or personality on the breast. The implant is stiff by nature and the texture to keep the implant from rotating and shifting will reduce the natural softness and flow of the breast. I find them less than optimal for augmentation though very effective in breast reconstruction.

Anatomic highly cohesive gels are "new" however we have seen decades of excellent augmentations with round smooth ones except in very special circumstances. Take your time considering.

peterejohnsonmd

You have a good starting point for a natural result

Aside from a slight asymmetry, you have a nice starting point for a natural result. In my opinion, a moderate profile Mentor gel implant of appropriate base dimension to fit your chest wall would give you a more natural result than an "anatomical" implant which is generally taller than it is wide and is designed to create upper pole fullness that is beyond natural.

Mentor Memory Gel Implant Choice

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape #MentorGelimplant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in a bit.
#MentorMemoryGel

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Anatomically shaped implants

The new Mentor anatomically shaped implants are a great implants for some patients.  It is important for your plastic surgeon to examine you before making any recommendations though.   There are several factors that go into selecting the proper implant, so considering the options to address your concerns will give you the best result.

Adam L. Basner, MD