Are my breast implants too high? (photo)

I've had BA surgery with a periareolar lift a week ago and my implants are sitting quite high and from the side look wrong, with my nipples pointing down. Is this normal that they sit so high and look fake? Does this settle down? Will they fall into that natural look? I'm feeling a little disheartened!

Are my breast implants too high?

At one week post-op, thank heavens your surgeon had the wisdom and experience to start implant position a bit high--how about healing, softening and stretching of your tissues, and gravity? Did you think bras or implants are anti-gravity devices?

I remind each of my patients (and a few more here on RealSelf) that healing completely takes 6-12 months, and you are only one week into this process! Realize that those women and surgeons who show "great results" right after surgery often are incapable of showing good outcomes in those same cases when they are 6-12 months post-op with bottomed-out or double bubble implants/positioning. So it's better to look a bit funky right now and good for the long-term, rather than "wonderful" right now, and bottomed-out (more surgery needed) as gravity does its inevitable deed.

You will undoubtedly improve over time, but if I were your surgeon I would have you go braless during the day (cami with soft built-in bra is OK) and have you wear an elastic bandeau above your breasts and under your armpits at night until your implants drop almost into position. I would also have you perform implant displacement exercises (often erroneously called "massage") every time you are in the restroom, in the morning/shower, at bedtime--essentially every few hours--so that your pockets stay larger than your implants, and your breasts become (remain) soft and natural. 

Once implants are nearly as low as you want (could be days or months, but usually a few weeks), then we would stop the nighttime bandeau and have you wear a supportive brassiere (not compressive--NO push-up or jog bras that could cause symmastia) to slow the rate of any further dropping as those 6-12 months of healing, softening, and settling occur. That's how you get a good result LONG-TERM, not just at your first (or only) few post-op visits. Fear not, fair maiden, for all is well right now! If you would like more information, please click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

THe Post-Op Healing Process - Placement

Understanding the Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the  initial surgical fee.

Since it has only been a week it will likely be a little while longer until your implants settle into final position. However, if you find yourself concerned it would be best to visit your surgeon to have them examined for proper healing.

Implants Too High?

Thank you very much for your question.

At 1 week out, it's too early to say what your final shape will be.  You still have quite a bit of swelling, and the implants should settle with time.  Please continue to see your surgeon and follow their recommendations.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Are my breast implants too high?

After full healing we like to see the point of projection of the implant behind the nipple, and as you see yours is still slightly above. Over time and settling things will improve. 

Normal healing process

At only 1 week it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change. It can take 4-6 months to see your final results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon