3 years post op BA gel implant under muscle, feels out of place extremely uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

I had BA 3 years ago and I woke up this morning with the left implant very uncomfortable it feels almost as if it's out of place, it won't sit in my bra comfortable and the nipple feels very numb and sensitive .. The right side is completely fine as usual, however the left is quite painful and very uncomfortable. I am worried my implants are ruptured. I have round gel implants 400cc under the muscle. What should I do?

Doctor Answers 12

Painful Breast 3 yrs after Augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry.  Naturally the first recommendation would be to check with your treating Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible to determine if there is something going on.  It is unusual for there to be a problem developing suddenly in the absence of some injury or other precipitating factor.
Best wishes,

John J Obi, MD

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Pain in breast

 These set of symptoms is puzzling for someone who's been out of surgery as long as you have. For what it's worth, ruptured implants don't present that way. If you are my patient, a simple in office ultrasound could discern whether or not the implant was ruptured. An acute seroma has presented to me with similar symptoms. This likewise can be diagnosed with ultrasound. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Start by seeing your #plastic surgeon

You need to make an appointment with your ABPS certified surgeon, you will need a imaging study, which can be a Mammogram, ultrasound or MRI.
After an exam, your surgeon and you will formulate a plan of action.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Pain 3 years after breast augmentation

You may be experiencing pain related to capsular contracture, implant rupture, or something else. The best thing is to see your plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation

Jeremy B. White, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

3 years post op BA gel implant under muscle, feels out of place extremely uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your symptoms. I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person examination.  There are a few possibilities including implant displacement, capsular contracture, and implant rupture that would need to appropriately diagnosed in order to offer the best treatment recommendation.  Hope this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Symptoms from implant

I would recommend a breast US with axillary views or a breast MRI (depending on the cost) to determine rupture.  You may have a breast implant infection as well especially if you had recent dental work.  

Susan Kolb, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Pain after BA 3years ago

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery! It is best to go and see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and go over your specific concerns as to what may be causing your discomfort. It is best for your surgeon to examine you as well. An advanced imaging study such as an ultrasound or MRI may be of benefit as well, but it is best to go see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a checkup.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Implant uncomfortable after breast augmentation

I would encourage you to schedule a visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon immediately to determine the exact source of your discomfort.You will certainly require a clinical examination and may also require additional imaging studies such as an ultrasound, mammogram, and/or MRI.If these indicate a rupture, your surgeon will likely encourage you to proceed with surgery.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Implant feels uncomfortable

Thank you for your question and I am sorry for your current troubles.My advice in this situation is to start with a clinical examination and/or also have an imaging study performed (ultrasound, mammogram, MRI).You need to be examined by a Plastic Surgeon and just make sure things are okay.If he/she suspects rupture, they will either send you for the imaging studies or if they believe there is a rupture, they will advise you to proceed with surgery.I hope this helps.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

? implant rupture?

Please contact your plastic surgeon ASAP to get in to see them so they can examine you and hopefully help determine what is going on.
Good luck!

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.