Unsure how current sub pectoral implants effect reconstruction for Breast Cancer?

I forgot to ask my surgeon. But I had sub pectoral 250 cc implants placed in 2003 as part of mastopec. I now have Invasive Lobular C and pervasive LCIS in the left breast. I found out in 2012 I am brca2 positive, bilaterals to be done. Will the already expanded sub pectoral pocket help or hinder with inflators. Can I expected as much discomfort? Alloderm sling needed or current capsule enough? How many cc's usually needed for expansion. DIEP is the plan. Thank you

Breast reconstruction

This isn't going to be as much of a problem as you think. You answered this as part of your history, correct? I can't give you a volume of expansion over the internet. That just isn't possible. You would probably benefit from talking to the nurse in your plastic surgeon's office. The nurse is a great source of information and one of your greatest advocates.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Current implants and breast reconstruction

Thank you for your question, and I'm sorry you're battling this. It sounds like you are off to a great treatment plan. No, your current subpectoral implants will not hurt anything, and should actually make the surgery and your recovery a bit easier. If you are having tissue expanders placed at the time of mastectomy, but only in preparation for DIEP flap, then I doubt Alloderm would be necessary (I like to use Alloderm if using an implant for the reconstruction later). Best wishes on a quick recovery.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction after augmentation

Breast augmentation is not a hindrance to reconstruction. The subpectoral pockets and capsule are already created making for easier placement of implants. Depending on the reconstruction method and desired outcome you may not need an alloderm sling. Difficult to advise on the volume of expansion without photos. If you are undergoing a DIEP flap reconstruction with implants, this can be done as a single stage without the need for expanders. Best, Dr. Yegiyants

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon