Skin discoloration, pregnancy pigmentation. Are chemical peels safe? (Photo)

My skin nd neck is getting dark nd dark.. Started into my first pregnancy..now m a mother of 10 y and 6 months. Nothing's helping me to get my even skin tone. M thinking of chemical peel.. Are those peels safe..? Do i have to get peel often once i start..? How many peels i need to get good results..? Are there any side effects..? Ples help me..!!

Melasma followin pregnancy

Hard to determine if this is melasma from your pregnancy.  If so skin lightening agents such as hydroquinone or SkinMedica Lytera would be beneficial. 

Melasma and Pigmentation after Pregnancy and Treatment

Both Chemical Peels and Cosmelan are highly effective for treating your Melasma after pregnancy.  A combination of bleaching creams may be used in conjunction with both methods.  Strict sun avoidance and maintenance are essential to having  excellent long lasting results.  Best, Dr. Green

Chemical peels for hyperpigmentation

Hi Ruby,

Thank you for posting your question.There are many different types of chemical peels, and many can help with hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin). Choosing which one will help you most and is safe for your skin type will require an assessment. Usually peels are performed every 4-6 weeks depending on the type of peel used. Maintenance is required to maintain results. There are also products on the market than can help minimize hyperpigmentation to use alone, with or after chemical peels. I would suggest being evaluated in person with a local plastic surgeon or skin care professional. Hope this helps!

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Peels for pigmentation

There are different types of peel that will help with pigmentation, I would recommend TCA peels.  Using an at home hydroquinone treatment will help expedite your treatment process as well.

David Stoker, MD

Chemical Peel

There are many types of Chemical Peels that range from superficial to moderate to deep peels. Each type of chemical peel can improve the skin in different ways such as dark spots, wrinkles, acne, skin texture and skin discolorations. The most important part of a chemical peel is seeing a well-trained board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist that has significant experience in performing chemical peels. You need a thorough skin exam because darker skin types, certain diseases of the skin, past radiation treatments or Acutane may make you not a candidate for a chemical peel.

It is important for the doctor to determine you Fitzpatrick skin type and to get you ethnic background if possible to determine if you are a candidate. If there is any question of whether you are a candidate, a small skin patch chemical peel test can be done in a hidden area to determine if you are a good candidate. It is important to pre-treat the skin with medical grade skin products to get your skin ready for the chemical peel and to reduce the possibility of unpleasant side effects. This will also give you better results from the chemical peel. It is also important to be pre-treated with anti-herpes medication to prevent herpes that could cause scarring.

Certain causes of skin discoloration such as from pregnancy mask and high hormones are tougher to improve if you still have hormonal imbalances. You must get your hormones under control first. It is not recommended to have chemical peels while pregnant. It is very important to follow specific post chemical skin care instructions that the doctor gives you to prevent complications and to have excellent results. After the chemical peel has healed the doctor will give you skin care products to suppress recurrent discolorations. It is also very important to protect your skin daily with sunscreens of at least a SPF of 30. Sunscreen in your make-up is not enough to prevent recurrent discolorations. There are always risks to every procedure but the risks can be very small in the hands of a well-trained board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Millions of skin chemical peels are performed safely each year.

Jeanne A. Scanland, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon