Was told after surgery my doctor had only used my own cartilage ect with no other foreign things to fix my nose; is this normal?

I was told after surgery my doctor had only used my own cartlidge ect with no other foreign things to fix my nose is this normal? I thought you got foreign thing's added to shape and for strength ect? Please hep me understand what has happened.

Your own cartilage

The best option for nasal reconstruction is always your own cartilage. Any foreign material can lead to rejection or infection more than your own tissues. 

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgeon Used Only My Own Cartilage in Rhinoplasty Surgery

Relying on your understanding of what was done in your operation I strongly agree with your surgeon. For over 35 years I've avoided the use of any synthetic material in rhinoplasty surgery to avoid the increased risk of infection, movement, and extrusion. The patient's own tissue is incorporated into their normal surrounding structures.

Cartilage grafts

Cartilage grafts are commonly used during rhinoplasty. You should discuss with you surgeon what exactly he used them for.

Foreign material use in rhinoplasty

The short answer is yes, that is very normal. Because of its positioning on the face the nose is frequently subject to accidental trauma. The inside of our noses just like the mouth is coated with bacteria so placing a foreign implant millimeters away can result in infection and ultimately the need for the implant's removal. Your surgeon was wise to use native cartilage which is much more resistant to the development of infection.

R. Graham Boyce, MD
Covington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Using Cartilage in Rhinoplasty

I agree with my colleagues that use of cartilage for structural grafting is the gold standard in Rhinoplasty.  Use of foreign (alloplastic) materials is always much farther down the choices of materials to use based on compatibility, extrusion, infection, etc. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage in nose surgery

Hi, in general it is much better to use your own cartilage over foreign products. Other products can increase the risk of infection as well as exposure of the product if the skin is very thin. It is always preferable to use your own cartilage when it's available. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Using your own cartilage to rebuild / reshape your nose is a good thing!

Using your own cartilage for rhinoplasty surgery is a good thing. This tissue is meant to stay with you for the rest of your lift. Sometimes, some surgeons will use materials like silicone blocks or medpor, but these have the disadvantage that they can be rejected by your body in the long term and can work their way out of the skin by making a new opening or becoming infected. Cartilage can be harvested from the nasal septum, ear, or even the ribs!

Cartilage

Your own cartilage is the ideal type of material to augment or refine your rhinoplasty result. There are several places where this autologous (your own) cartilage can come from with each type being more ideal for certain, specific parts of the nose. 

Best of luck with your recovery.

Regards,

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and cartilage grafting

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Cartilage grafting is a common technique to improve the structure of the nose for strength and shape. Using your own cartilage is the best option for grafting. This may come from your nose, ear, or rib. It's your own living tissue. Occasionally synthetic implants are used in rhinoplasty; however they have a lifetime risk of infection. I would bring up any further questions with your surgeon. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage

Most rhinoplasties involve the use of septal cartilage to strengthen and reshape the tip.  It is unusual to use alloplastic or synthetic implants as these have added risk of infection and extrusion.