Is it normal to have aching pain in one breast 6 months post BA?

Hi, I had BA (under the muscle, A to C) 6 months ago and have recently started having some aching in my left breast. (Naturally larger due to breast feeding) I had a lot of numbness under the breast when I had the surgery which seems to have gone back to normal. Nothing looks different about them but it feels different when I am exercising. Is this normal?

Soreness 6 months after surgery

Breast augmentation surgery, especially with submuscular placement of the breast implants, will change the dynamics of the pectoralis muscle function of the chest wall (the muscle underwhich the implant is placed).  Certain exercises (bench press, chest flies, push ups, shoulder press) can place excessive stress on the muscle and may cause muscle strain or pull.  If this is the source of discomfort, the soreness will resolve with rest after a few days.  Since your chest has been surgically enhanced, further exercises to develop chest muscles are not only unnecessary, but can result in these types of pain and injuries.  Modifying your workouts, to accomodate your new breasts, will allow you to maintain high levels of activity, but prevent future episodes of soreness.If you do not improve, you need to seek the advice of your Plastic Surgeon for a physical examination.Enjoy your new breasts!

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pain in one breast after breast augmentation surgery

When having concerns, it's always best to be double checked by your surgeon. Regarding pain, I advise my patients that it's common right from the first day after surgery to have one breast that feels great and the other that is sore off and on for a good nine months, less sore each month. During these nine months, they may have a couple of months with no tenderness on either side and then all of a sudden they may feel a zing in that originally tender side. All of this is normal for absolutely every patient. I hope this is reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Pain and ache in the breast 6 months post-op after breast augmentation is not typical

While something like this can certainly happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong, it is not the norm.  Usually at 6 months our patients are back to full normal activities, and their breasts feel pretty normal.  The most likely things that come to my mind are either a sort of strain injury to the muscles of the chest wall or the capsule during activity, kind of like straining a joint ligament or a tendon, or a case of early capsule contracture.  If it is the latter, this is something that we can often intervene on an prevent from worsening, as long as we know about it.  The best thing for you to do is make an appointment to see your surgeon for a quick visit.  This way he or she will be able to examine you in person and tell what is going on.  I don't think it sounds like an emergency that needs to be seen immediately, but I wouldn't ignore it and do nothing either.  Best of luck.