What is the best method of stretched earlobe repair that can give me the most aesthetically pleasing/natural result? (Photo)

I saw a sugeon about the "wedge method earlobe repair" He also told me another method involves cutting around the inside of the stretched hole without slicing through, and then stitching it up with internal and external sutures, however he does not recommend this method as he says it can leave a dimply/uneven surface and/or a "pointed lobe" (unlike the wedge method) What is the name of the procedure that will leave the best looking result for my particular case and how is it performed?

Ear lobe repair

Hello and thank you for your question. Typically the best method for repairing the earlobe is the wedge resection repair. Removing the hole and damaged skin and sewing it back together is going to give you a smoother more normal appearing earlobe. You will have a pink scar for a few months that you should not re-pierce through when your surgeon approves you to do so. Protecting it from the sun will help it to fade to a line you will hardly see. Good luck!

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe repair

This is a great question.  There are many different ways to approach earlobe repair.  The method a surgeon chooses usually depends on what the defect is, your skin, and the shape of you earlobe.   For you the wedge method may work fine.  The other method you describe works well for large defects.  I would take the advice of the surgeon who has seen you in person and is able to do a full examBest of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe repair

Earlobe repair is a very common procedure. Frequently, we have patients who will have the procedure done the same day as the consultation. Typically, the cost is between $450-850 per earlobe, depending on the severity and the length of the procedure.You may be able to find a doctor who will do this under insurance but i am not aware of any.The length of time the ears have been gauged should have no effect on the procedure. As long as the tissue is no longer irritated or inflamed, there is no reason not to give it a try. Gauged ears are sometimes more difficult than some other earlobe repairs since the tissue is so over stretched, but we are still able to create a natural looking earlobe. You can get your ear re pierced about 6 weeks after and should be included in the pricing. Shop around in your area and see if you can find a plastic surgeon in your budget. Insurance typically wont cover this. 

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Earlobe repair

As my colleagues have suggested, there are a number of different ways to address this problem.  Make certain you speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with significant experience with earlobe repair.  Many of us are facile with several different kinds of reconstructions, and select the most appropriate technique to produce a natural appearance.  The decision can be influenced by the size and shape of the stretched hole or earlobe cleft, patient desires (e.g., a smaller or rounder earlobe), and a careful examination of the other ear.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Best method of stretched earlobe repair that can give the most aesthetically pleasing/natural result?

Thank you for your question. I would assess correction in a step-wise fashion.  Excise the normal skin along the inner aspect of the stretched lobe and depending on how it it looks elect to convert to a full wedge. Hope this helps.

Earlobe Repair

Thank you for your question and photo.  I would suggest simply excision the stretched hole.  In my experience you would not need a wedge excision for this.  The resultwill be much better with a simple excision of the hole

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Earlobe repair

If there is enough tissue between the lower border of the ear and the raw surface created to close the inner ring, then I would do it that way. Or else, I have used a small wedge excision and use a lap joint type repair( z-plasty) at the base so the lower surface does not pucker in. 

Earlobe repair

Thank you for your picture! I particularly like using the wedge - I find that it heals the best long term while giving the ear lobe as much strength as possible for piercing in the future.  I like to wait 6-8 weeks after closing before re-piercing the ear.  The best way to determine which particular method works best is with a physical exam, as you can see both the front and back of the ear as well as feel how much strength is at the margin.  Best of luck.  I hope some of this helps.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the best method of stretched earlobe?

Thank you for the question and picture. I think you will likely be fine with either method that you have described.  Most patients in my practice elect to have the "wedge method" performed; this allows for precise control of the aesthetics of the rim and reduction of the ear lobe if desired.  My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully  and communicate your goals carefully as well. Best wishes.