Late breast pain 2 years post augmentation. Any suggestions?

I am now 2 years post breast augmentation with submuscular silicone implants and for the past week have had odd, intermittent 'shooting' pains initially at the lower curvature of my breast and now under the nipple. The pains last for There is no asymmetry, no tenderness, no lumps or swelling. Could this be capsular inflammation this far out? Should I be worried?

Thank you for your question. It is better to contact your surgeon and exlain to him the situation and he might have to do control and follow up for check up.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... 

I recommend you to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to check your implants, if you're having pain after 2 years.. The subject of risks and potential complications of surgery is best discussed on a personal basis between you and your plastic surgeon. Some of the complications of this procedure are:
  • Seroma.
  • Hematoma.
  • Ecchymosis (bruising) disappearing in 7-10 days.
  • Infection.
  • Edema.
  • Changes in sensitivity.
  • Damage to underlying structures.
  • Asymmetries.
  • Vicious scars.
  • allergic reactions
  • Capsular contracture.
  • Implant rupture.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Pain Two Years After Augmentation

Pain this far after your breast augmentation is unusual. Please contact your plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation. Best wishes.

Karen Singer, MD

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Best course is a dx of elimination. Seek MRI, US, physical examinations to rule out structural defects. Than clinical impressions after examination if you are having sympathetic dystrophy or Sensory Cutaneous Nerve Pain Syndrome vs pain from capsule... 

Breast pain 2 years after BBA

Thank you for your question. Yes, you could be experiencing delayed capsular contracture, but there are also other issues that could be going on, such as implant displacement, malposition, or tender cysts that may arise in the breast tissue. To know for sure you need to see your plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation. For now, start taking motrin 600mg three times a day for no more than 7 days, and gently massage the breasts. See a surgeon soon.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Visit your PS

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination.  Capsular contracture can cause hardening of the breast and pain when touching it. Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

I would suggest calling your doctor and going in to be checked. Pain is not normal this far out from surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon