Day 19 and my eyes are still droopy after having lower eye surgery. Is this normal? (Photo)

Ectropion after lower lid bleph

You have some ectropion here, with the lateral eyelid pulling down and out.  This is probably going to need surgical revision after about 4-6 months.  For now use warm compresses, and massage the lids up.  Also lots of lubricant eye drops and ointments as the ectropion can lead to a dry eye.      

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Appears as a surgical ectropion that should resolve itself over the next few months. But best to seek in person second opinions.

Cicatricial eyelid ectropion after lower blepharoplasty

It appears you have cicatricial lower eyelid ectropion after lower blepharoplasty. Need to give it 3 months before considering revision surgery. In the meantime, massage the eyelid upwards, do squinting exercises and use lubricating eye drops.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid ectropion following blepharoplasty

Thank you for sharing your problem. This is one of the bigger concerns following lower eyelid blepharoplasty. It can easily be corrected by an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon. Make an appointment for evaluation with an eyelid specialist to determine if your eyes are becoming dry and use artificial tears in the meantime.  Good luck,

Not normal .

This will require surgical correction.  This can happen despite the surgeon's best efforts.  While you are waiting for this revisional surgery, you should see your general ophthalmologist for appropriate dry eye management to that the eyes are comfortable and do not over dry which can happen.

Lower lid exposure

While this is neither the "norm" nor the "ideal" at this stage, it is an issue that we encounter from time to time. Typically, in cases such as yours appears to be, continued daily massage and time will allow this to completely resolve. On rare occasions a secondary surgical procedure may be required but based on your information/photos presented I would guess not.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Drooping after lower lid surgery

This is not normal as we hope to avoid this after lower lid surgery, but this will improve over time.  The initial healing process that takes place over the first few months can cause pulling of the lids.  The pulling will ease on its own but gentle massage upward and towards your ears can be helpful.  This will continue to improve but slowly over many months.  Patience is essential as the best healing will occur without additional surgery.  So sorry you have to experience this but hang in there and best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelids still droopy at day 19

It is not unusual to have malpositioned eyelids this soon after lower Blepharoplasty especially if it was performed through a sub ciliary (outside) incision. I can actually see moderate swelling in the lower eyelids and when all the swelling is gone and the lower eyelid muscles are functioning normally your eyelid should return to a normal position.  It can take an additional 6-12 weeks to correct itself.  It is very doubtful that you would have to have corrective surgery.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lowe eyelid position after Blepharoplasty

I do see that the lower lids are not in an ideal position.  After lower blepharopalsty this can be caused by swelling, laxity of the eyelid, and temporary weakness of the muscles that hold the lid in place.  I would definitely discuss this with your surgeon.  Often massage and taping of the lids into position can help with this issue.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid retraction

Wendy, I don't think this is normal and It would appear that you are having problems with significant lower eyelid retraction due to excessive removal of skin. This is on the more severe end of the spectrum as the lower lid seems to also be pulling away from the eye.  There is still a good chance that you will get a degree of improvement with time and I would strongly recommend the you apply upward massage of the skin as soon as possible to minimise the problem. You will also need to see your surgeon. In practice, at this point there is little else one can do and you will need to wit a few months to determine the final result. If the retraction does not improve you may require further surgery.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon