Is birth control necessary while on Accutane?

My dermatologist has prescribed me back on accutane ( I was previously on it 10mg twice a day for 8 months- with another doctor). This new doctor is putting me on 20mg a day but wants me to take it with birth control. I didn't take birth control the last time and I am just wondering whether it is really necessary to take birth control considering I am not even sexually active at all? I mean, why take birth control and mess up my cycle if I do not need it? Please advise on what is best. Thanks

Birth control and Accutane

If you live in the U.S. it is necessary to be on two forms of birth control while taking Accutane as part of the iPledge program. Even if you are not in the U.S. it is a good idea to be on birth control while taking it. Things change in life and if you were to become sexually active you would not want to become pregnant while taking Accutane. It is a black label medication meaning this is medication very dangerous to the fetus. So really it is just best to be on birth control. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."