350cc over muscle implants sliding to sides when I lay on my back. Pockets too large 14 months post surgery? (Photo)

Could you please have a look at the photos and give me your option and is it normal for pockets to stretch after 6 months. 350cc post 14 months in photos. Around 6 months I notice my implants were sliding to the side when I lay down. The left one is almost sliding into the arm pit causing discomfort. Should this be repaired and cost covered by surgeon seeing that it happened so soon after surgery?

350cc over muscle implants sliding to sides when I lay on my back. Pockets too large 14 months post surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  It does appear that your implants are sliding a bit too much off the side of your chest and correction would require narrowing the implant pocket to keep the implants sitting on your chest.  As for correction costs you will need to address this directly with your surgeon as each has different revision policies.  Hope this helps.

BA

The implant pocket can be tightened with sutures laterally to avoid lateral displacement of the implant.  Your surgeon may be able to waive the surgeon's fee but there may be an OR/Anesthesia fee to this revision.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Breast implant pocket adjustment

Over time your pocket has stretched and enlarged. This is a common problem for breast reconstruction patients but can happen with breast augmentation patients too.

The breast pocket will need a lateral capsuloraphy or tightening the pocket using sutures on the inside of the capsule. Sometimes it is necessary to reduce the size of the implant so that it does not put as much tension and stress on the tissue.

Implants sliding to sides when I lay on my back. Pockets too large 14 months post surgery?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. You demonstrate your concerns nicely. Although some “falling to these sides” of breast implants is quite normal when you lie down, if this occurs “excessively”, it may be a concern to patients.  This phenomenon is called lateral displacement of the breast implant;  it may be of concern from the visual and the discomfort standpoints. Surgical correction is an option.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.    In my practice, I use  a 2 layered suture technique (capsulorraphy) to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.

I hope this (and the attached link) helps.