What is this on my ear? Can I get it surgically removed? (Photo)

I got my ear pierced about 12 years ago. But only in the last 2 years this bump has formed on the back of the hole where my ear was pierced on both sides of my ears, it is hard to touch and I feel it's growing bigger. I have had them injected with steroids 3 times but didn't do anything! Help, they are so ugly and I just want them gone :(

Doctor Answers 2

Scar removal

From the picture, it looks like a keloid scar which can sometimes be difficult to treat because they can reoccur. I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can remove the keloid scar surgically and have proper follow up visits to help prevent it from coming back. Best wishes!

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Scar Removal

Thank you for posting your question. From your picture, it looks like you have a keloid scar. It can be removed through excision and reconstructed through soft tissue flap. I recommend meeting with an experienced, board certified physician for an in-person consult. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.