Is there more surgical skill/technical expertise required to place an anatomical versus a round implant?

Specifically, using a Keller Funnel. The reason I ask is that I have consulted with 3 different plastic surgeons and 1 cosmetic surgeon, and only one plastic surgeon has suggested an anatomical implant for my frame (which is my actual preference anyway) but I'm wondering why the majority suggested the round? Thanks in advance.

Anatomic vs round: placing the implant.

Hi there,

The answer to this is no.  Really the skill in breast implant surgery is in the office:  planning is everything in terms of the results obtained. Implant types, sizes, the plane selected and the anatomic situation the patient presents are all considered, with the patient, and the ideal surgical plan made for the individual patient.

Technically, once the plan is made, on the day of surgery, the task is to position the implant in an accurate pocket of dissection regardless of whether it is round or anatomic, as well as to take care of any anatomic variance to the plan encountered on the day of surgery. This is no more difficult in either plane or with any implant type selected.

I use a no touch insertion technique via a Keller funnel.

Cheers,

Howard Webster

Plastic Surgeon

Round vs Anatomical

Hello there 

Yes anatomical implants require a little more planning and technique to select and insert correctly .

But with experience they give very predictable results and can achieve nice results .

Both round and anatomical implants can have excellent outcomes . It depends on your breast shape and the shape you are trying to achieve . If you have a large breast and are only getting a small implant then the implant shape is not so important as the breast will mask it .

But if you have a small breast and the implant is a larger component of the overall result then the implant shape starts to dominate . Round implants can look a bit more round ; anatomical look a bit more natural.

So it depends on the look you are after and the current appearance of your breasts .

Find a surgeon who uses both and have a discussion . Pre-operative 3D imaging with a Vectra 3D may help you too .

Cheers

TS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Tear drop vs round

Thanks for the question

Yes it is slightly more difficult using a tear drop implant compared to a round implant but that shouldn't be the reason to choose one over the other.

I would go with a tear drop implant because that is your preference. My opinion is they look better and keep their shape longer.

Round implants are cheaper hence why surgeon's push for round implants over tear drop.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Both anatomical and round implants when properly placed can give a very nice aesthetic result.  I do think that more can go wrong with an anatomical implant if the implant rotates even slightly after surgery.  For what it is worth a survey done at a recent meeting of board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeons 83% use smooth round silicone gel implants.

Anatomical versus round breast implants?

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. ***Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.