Ripples from push up? Bring my breast closer to achieve cleavage (Photos)

Im 6m PO. Im still self conscious of my breast i still dont have any clevage with out a push up bra i thought getting BA i would be able to wear no bra but now after having a BA i still have to a wear push up with heaps padding to achieve the look i was after & today when taking my push up bra i lent fwd & could feel some ripples on the sides & under but when i stood up straight i couldnt feel the ripples Is wearing a push up effecting my implants? what can i do to bring them in closer

Shape, Contour and Placement of Implant at 6 Months

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still self-conscious with the appearance of your breasts after your procedure, but I am not completely clear of the situation at hand. If the fact is that there is still loose skin without the implants appearing in a higher and tighter contour, then it is likely there should have been a lift combined with the augmentation. This would be a valid concern to take directly to your surgeon and have the area examined in order to make sure that the initial procedure has completely healed and the implants have settled in order to see if a revision would be necessary. And, as always with cosmetic surgery, it is important to maintain realistic expectations for the final results. Best of luck!

Avoid pushups.

I asked my patients to avoid pushups. As the pectoralis muscle contracts it pushes the implants off to the side only making your cleavage situation worse. To have better cleavage you may need a revision with a larger or a wider breast implant. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Cleavage concerns after breast augmentation surgery…

Thank you for the question and pictures. I do not think that you need to be concerned about the bra effecting your implants. In regards to the outcome achieved after breast augmentation surgery, more information would be necessary to advise you. For example, are your breast implants in the sub glandular or sub muscular position? Saline or silicone gel? Anatomic starting point?

Some general thoughts regarding "cleavage concerns" may be helpful to you and other ladies considering breast surgery:

Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.

Best wishes

Ripples from push up? Bring my breast closer to achieve cleavage?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Unfortunately without a "before" picture it is difficult to offer definite advice as it appears that your natural anatomy - wide breast bone and wide set breasts - is limiting your ability to achieve your desired cleavage.  I would speak with your surgeon and voice your concerns as a review of your results can be done and any potential improvements offered.  Best wishes. 

Rippling and cleavage

Thank you for your question and photos.

A push-up bra is unlikely to cause rippling or affect your implants over the long-term.

Rippling under the breast and in the inner or outer sides of the breast is common with saline implants, especially when you bend down. Rippling is also common when you have less soft-tissue coverage over the implants. As such, in thin patients, silicone implants with behind the muscle placement is preferred.

With regards to cleavage, please know that breast augmentation is designed to primarily increase the size of the breast, and nothing else. If your breasts were spaced far apart pre-operatively then that will not change much. Your natural breast anatomy/characteristics (i.e., wider breast bone, wider chest wall) may space your breasts far apart. Generally, to enhance the already existing cleavage, surgeons may place wide implants over the muscle.

Please consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon to have your concerns addressed.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD