Can rhinoplasty fix my asymmetry and bump? (Photo)

I've noticed that from the front my nose is a little crooked and I really don't like my profile. My nose is narrow and the skin very thin so I've always been worried about surgery. Do you think I'd be a good candidate and would it be open or closed surgery?

Rhinoplasty Candidate

You are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  You have a prominent dorsal nasal hump and a plunging nasal tip.  Any reputable rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to guide you through the surgical process and explain what is achievable with the use of computer imaging. You could do your rhinoplasty with either an open or closed approach but a closed approach will heal much faster with less post-operative bruising and swelling.

Rhinoplasty

With a skilled, experienced surgeon, I see no reason that you won't get an excellent result. Let the surgeon chose the type of rhinoplasty, he/she is most comfortable with. Or, if you are not comfortable with a little scar on the columella, then find a surgeon who does mostly closed rhinoplasties. I personally only do closed rhinoplasties.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty open or closed?

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures. There are several aspects that could be improved and adjusted via a rhinoplasty . My preference would be to do this with an open approach as this gives the best view of all the anatomy and the most accurate control of any adjustments made to the structure of the nose. Straightening the nose will need to include straightening of the septum and the straightened septum will need to be securely held in position to avoid recurrence of the problem. Your profile shows a prominent nasal dorsal hump and a downward rotation of the tip producing a long nose. There are many potential changes that could be made to your profile and precisely what is best would depend on a thorough discussion aided by using a morphing program to alter your profile to your desired shape. Upward rotation of the tip will shorten the nose and may lessen the hump whereas hump reduction alone may make your nose look longer. A combination of adjustments is usually needed to achieve a long lasting ,harmonious nasal shape whilst also preserving or even enhancing function. An expert rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to guide you through this and explain what is achievable as well as indicate the risks.

Can rhinoplasty fix my asymmetry and bump?

Thank you for your question and images. Given your goals and the photo's you have provided you appear to be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure. I personally would complete your rhinoplasty with a closed procedure but that may vary between surgeons depending on what they are most familiar with. For the best advice locate a Specialist Plastic Surgeon and discuss your goals.
Regards
Dr Guy Watts

Rhinoplasty for a bump and to straighten the nose.

Hi there. Of course rhinoplasty can address the bump and the straightness issues you enquire about.  You are also correct to identify that thin skin leaves little room for irregularities, but it also has the advantage of allowing the changes to show through. However your skin is really not an issue of great concern.

Your nose after rhinoplasty needs to look good, function well, and stay that way. Most prefer an open approach these days you will find, although some still do closed surgery. It's the result and longevity that count, and so I really only do open rhinoplasty for these reasons.

See someone who has a special interest in rhinoplasty.

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty

Thanks for sharing your images
Your rhinoplasty is pretty straight forward but I would recommend an open approach as that allows the septum to be straighten along with removing the hump and refining the tip.
Just removing the hump without tip work may not give you the results you desire.

I hope this helps and good luck.

#rhinoplasty

Hi. The short answer is yes but you are not an easy case. I cant say for certain without an examination but i would make these points. It looks to me like your nasal bones are straight and the cause of the nasal deviation is the septum. This would be addressed with a septoplasty. The hump reduction is straightforward but normally we would infracture the nasal bones in order to prevent an open roof deformity. Because your nose is already too thin i would favour using spreader grafts. This will also correct the narrow middle 1/3 of nose and assist with keeping it straight. The nose needs to be de-projected and rotated up. In addition it is likely that you will need a fascial graft. Hope this helps. Regards damien

You are a great candidate for rhinoplasty, but you've got to be very very careful about selecting your surgeon.

You have some issues with your nose that most plastic surgeons cannot fix, because they require advanced techniques that most plastic surgeons do not handle with skill and predictability.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph, and an animation of the morph, to show the kind of changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Your nose is very strong in its forward projection from your face, so your nose needs to be "deprojected", or brought back closer to your face. Then, when a nose is deprojected, it tends to *look* longer, so it needs to be shortened, by raising the tip, or the nose will look just way too long after surgery. You have a tall mid-face, so even if the nose is shortened nicely, it will still look long-ish, and your surgeon needs to be sensitive to that issue and experienced in dealing with it.

If the hump is taken down without deprojecting or elevating the tip, you'll hate the new nose. See the "Web reference" link for more general  advice on selecting a surgeon, but for you, your surgeon must address all of these issues in a computer morphing session, to your satisfaction, and then he has to prove to you with his before and after photos that he can actually accomplish those changes.

Then asymmetry of your nose from the front view, at least in this photograph, is minor. In any event, the structure of your nose that is causing the asymmetry will be changed when the profile changes are made. You'll probably be left with some small-ish asymmetry.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photographs, it is possible to perform straighten your nose with spreader grafts and you will also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  This could be performed with either closed or open rhinoplasty.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD