Is there a problem with my breast aug scar? (Photo)

I'm wondering if my scar is healing ok or is there something going on? Anything I should or shouldn't be doing? I'm 2 nearly 3 months post op. One of my scars looks slightly larger in width, as if the redness has expanded slightly? I am currently using coconut oil & bio oil but if I'm honest I definitely don't do it every night. Stats: 375cc XHP smooth, round, under the muscle with Keller funnel crease incision. The scar I'm concerned with is on the left breast. Thanks!

Crease scars after breast enlargements.

Greetings,

You might return to your plastic surgeon to discuss topical scar treatment options. Topical gel products and gel sheeting are commonly used and effective treatment options. Your scars are young and time should effect improvement, as well. 

Good luck with your ongoing healing. 

Best Regards,

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug scar

Hello, it takes 12-18 months for breast implant scars to soften and fade so it is not uncommon for them to be immature and pink-red only 3 months postop.  However, if you are worried it would be worthwhile touching bases with your surgeon.

Scar

Inframammary (under the breast/in breast crease) incisions have the overall lowest complication rate, and I believe yield the prettiest results, among the most common chest/breast anatomy. The incision is small, 4-4.5cm, or about 1.5 inches long, and is hidden by the crease and shadow your breast now creates. It will mature and fade over 6-12 months, but will never disappear. The only scar treatment that has been proven to work is Silicone Strips worn 24/7 for 8 weeks minimum. Lotions and creams like Mederma are not proven to improve the look of the scar. If you don’t want to commit to long term treatment like the Silicone Strips, we recommend using any lotion that is good for your skin (Vitamin E, Cocoa Butter, Aloe, etc.) and lotion your breast and scars twice daily. Rub the incision back and forth or in little circles for 90 seconds. This will help break up the scar tissue and improve the look of your scars. Hope this helps, any addition issues or concerns, I would suggest returning to your operating surgeon. Best of Luck!

3 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Scars

In my opinion scars look their worst between 2-4 months following surgery. I would honestly give it more time. If you are worried about anything however always feel free to call your surgeon's office. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scars post breast augmentation

Thank you for your email. Your scars appear to be normal and healing well at this point in the recovery process. Remember it takes a full year for a scar to fully mature. I would suggest Biocorneum Scar gel if you are concerned about the scarring. It is the only silicone based topical scar gel cleared by the FDA. I have been happy with the results in my practice.

Scars

The scars appear normal for the stage you are at in recovery. I would recommend that you protect them from the sun and I usually recommend application of a silicone gel as well but it will take at least a few more months before they begin to lighten.

All the best 

Is there a problem with my breast aug scar?

The photos demonstrate that your scars are still immature. Scars usually take 6-12 months to mature (flatten, soften, and lighten). Occasionally, they may thicken more than usual. Your surgeon needs to determine if they are hypertrophic, in which case a small amount of steroid can be placed to calm them down.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Remember that scars always look red and raised and ugly and it takes a year for them to mature. They will start to lighten and fade but you have to give it time. You may want to use scar healing gels/silicone strips to help quicken the process. Good luck!