Can nipple reduction & breast augmentation be done at the same time?

I'm getting BA done soon and really want a nipple reduction at the same time . First surgeon said this is fine , second surgeon said that he won't do it at the same time due to infection risk. Can I please get some other opinions on this as I didn't think the risk was any greater ? Thanks

#augment and nipple reduction

Hi.  I suspect you mean areolar reduction which is the larger pigmented skin around the nipple itself.  It is certainly not a problem to do either an areolar or a nipple reduction at the time of your breast augmentation.  If there is any higher risk of infection it is negligible.  It is routinely done in every mastopexy augment situation.

Nipple Reduction

Of course you can do #nipplereduction at the same time as an augmentation. I do them all the time with no scar visible. In fact you can read the article I published on the topic. The link is below. I also have an area of my web site devoted to nipple reduction.

I hope that helps. 

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Can you do nipple surgery and a breast augmentation at the same time?

Hi Nicjt,

Thank you for your question. It certainly depends on the surgeon who you ask as to what they believe in terms of increased risk of infection with with nipple reduction and breast augmentation. If the fear of infection is too high. it can be done as an in office procedure under local anesthesia. I personally would do it at the same time. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Carlos Mata M.D., MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic surgeon

#bam #breastaugmentation

Nipple/ areolar reduction with breast augmentation.

I do not see a contraindication to performing nipple/areolar reduction at the same time as a breast augmentation. Your risk of infection should not be significantly different. Good luck. 

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

I think you can certainly have nipple or areolar reduction in combination with a breast augmentation. I would perform this portion of the procedure after the implant has been placed and that incision is closed. Good luck!

Combin

Thanks for your question.  You can absolutely combine breast augmentation with nipple reduction surgery. Many patients chose this option to help improve the visual appeal of their breast augmentation.  Make sure you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon for all of your surgical needs.

Cheers,

Steven Camp MD

#HappyCamperMD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction

Hi,

First of all, do you mean your nipple or your areolar? Both can be reduced safely during breast augmentation, and I do not believe the risk of infection is significant. Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney 

Nipple reduction at same time as augmentation.

I assume that you mean areolar reduction, although nipple reduction is also performed frequently. I perform both in conjunction with augmentation, and do not feel that the risk of infection is significantly greater.Some other considerations though are that if you are placing fairly large implants, the periareolar scars may widen. 

Breast Augmentation

There is no evidence either way regarding nipple reduction and breast augmentation as a one stage and two stage procedure. Theoretically there is an increased risk of infection performing the nipple reduction at the same time but many patients choose to have both procedures combined at the same time. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction and breast augmentation

Yes, nipple reduction and breast augmentation can be done during the same procedure.   Several years ago, a study was released which demonstrated that breast augmentation done via a peri-areolar approach had a higher risk of capsular contracture.   The theory:   there are bacteria in the nipple ducts which could result in a subclinical infection around the implant thus making the capsule more firm.   I applaud your surgeon for being very conservative and trying to make certain that you will have the best results.   If the incision is closed prior to nipple reduction and prophylactic antibiotics are utilized, the both procedures can likely be performed during the same surgical setting.    Best to you. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon