How long should I take off work after having a Breast augmentation if I am a myotherapist (remedial massage therapist)?

I'm constantly using my pec muscles to push and help to grip for work as a remedial massage therapist. I'm unsure how long I would have to stop working for?

Thank you for your question.  This is a very important question that she should ask your plastic surgeon and definitely not rely on Internet advice.  Following implants under the muscle there is some discomfort for up to 3 weeks and I would guess that is a minimum for you to return to massage therapy.  However very vigorous lifting bench pressing and other heavy  lifting should be avoided after submuscular augmentation for up to 6 weeks.  Please ask your surgeon

Recovery time needed before returning to duties of massage therapist.

With regards to recovery, please know that it is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best.

The time required for recovery can depend on many factors including your pain tolerance, your healing abilities, the implant placement, and the type of work you do. 

Normally, it is recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training

Increasing the activity level is dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts, then stop the activity. Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles.

In fact, any movement that require pectoralis major contraction or physical pressure in the upper-body as experienced during push-up demonstrations, running, high impact aerobics, and weight lifting should be avoided until after 6 weeks following your surgery. This is especially true if your implants will be placed behind the pec major muscle as in your case.

Given that you are massage therapist, you will have to make significant use of your arms and chest muscles. As such, it may be best to wait for at least 6 weeks before getting back to work. Alternatively, if you are working under “light duty” (i.e., you will not engage in upper-body workouts) then you may consider going back on that condition.

As always, please call and discuss with your plastic surgeon. Their instructions should take precedence as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

For my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz