Should the horizontal scar be mostly hidden in the inframammary fold under the breast? (photos)

Should the horizontal scar be mostly hidden in the inframammary fold under the breast? My plastic surgeon told me my scars would be hidden and now I have ended up with the scars in this location. My plastic surgeon is dismissive of this and says this is normal.

Position of scar

It certainly should be although if you get some bottoming out of your breast then the scar can ride up higher with time - you may require a revision of the lower pole to help the bottoming out to correct this - your scar looks quite thick and red also so may benefit from some revision or scar management 

Horizontal scar

These scars are usually more hidden in the breast crease and therefore less noticeable even if they do spread. Be sure to tell your surgeon that you feel they are being dismissive of your concerns and ask for a second opinion if necessary.

Unhappy with scars after breast surgery

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy. This is a question of consent. Did you surgeon tell you the extent of the scars and the rise of poor scars and this on your consent form. 

I draw the incisions on my patients weeks before they have there surgery so they can see the extent and alway advise that scars can be lumpy. Your surgeon should listen to your concerns so do not be dismissed.

Explain how you are feeling and that you wish to discuss it with your PS.

Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon