Having 3 y/o large breast implants removed. What can I do about detached skin on breast bone. (photos)

I started with a b cup, 13cm base width and a very constricted breast crease that was high on my chest wall. I had 500cc smooth over the muscle in the left, 550cc in the right. They are incredibly low and about double the width of my original breasts. I am planning to let the skin attempt to contract for a year or so. I'm fine being flat chested and nothing but nips if I can have all of the excess skin removed, is this possible? And can the skin on my breast bone be reattached somehow? I'm 22

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - large breast implants removed

I'm sorry about the problems you're having.  You appear to have relatively large implants for your frame (that's not an absolute assessment, which in any form cannot be done via this forum) and the fact that they're on top of the muscle may help explain what's happened.  Either way, it is okay to have the implants removed and to stage a lift, but you most likely will need a lift in order to achieve a shape you'll be happy with. You should discuss both possibilities (doing a lift right away or staging it) with your own PS to know what your options are.  You could even argue that a lift with smaller implants placed behind the muscle may be the best compromise procedure but that's something that would need to be gone over in person.  You can also seek additional opinions ahead of your surgery if you think that might be informative.  I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Removal

In most cases the capsule is removed with the implants.  Your photo shows large implants for your frame.  Wear a tight compression garment to assist with healing.  I would wait until you are healed before doing the lift as your breast will change over several weeks.  See a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experienced.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Managing skin after breast implant removal

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• You have large implants for your chest as you know.
  • If the implants are encapsulated (they look as though they are), the ideal approach is removal of the implants and of the capsule and reshaping the breasts with a vertical breast lift.
  • Just removing the skin is not the best approach since the breasts themselves will be widened and flattened.
  • A small vertical lift is all that you should need.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant removal

Hello, thank you for the question and pictures.  I'm sorry that you're having to go through so many procedures at a young age.  If you would like to go to smaller implants and not have additional scars to lift and shape your breast, then removing your implants and allowing the skin to shrink for 6-12 months is your best option.  It is difficult to guess how much the skin will shrink after implant removal as every patient's skin and tissues react differently, but younger patients such as yourself definitely have better potential for the skin to retract.   

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician