Gynecomastia 7 months post op scar tissue problem.

Hi everyone. In mid February 2016 I had gynecomastia surgery (liposuction on left side, and liposuction and incision on right side) and now nearly 7 months later I am still suffering from scar tissue on the right side, which is making the right side look bigger than the left. I will admit I have barely massaged the right side. It is definitely scar tissue and not left-over fat from the operation as it is rock hard. Is it normal to still have scar tissue? Should I consult my specialist?

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following your #Gynecomastia #surgery, the incision sites will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia 7 months post op scar tissue problem. = follow up with your plastic surgeon #gynecomastia #breastsurgery

Patients with questions and concern about their gynecomastia reduction healing process should contact the plastic surgeon that performed the procedure to address these concerns and determine if there is need any need of management

John Mesa, MD

Thank you for sharing your experience and question.  I would definitely recommend seeing your specialist for an in-person evaluation and examination.  If you had excessive scar tissue develop from surgery or from a hematoma during recovery you may need to have a revision procedure if it has not been softening over time.  Occasionally placement of a steroid into the tissue can help the scar tissue soften but after 7 months a procedure is likely needed.  Hope this helps.