Follow up: 5 weeks post-op and left implant feels too far to the side?

I am now over 3 months post op and would love to hear your thoughts on my surgeon's response to my concerns. As mentioned in my original post, one of my left ribs was protruding pre-surgery. He said that the reason my left implant moves outward is because the rib acts like a "hill" and gravity forces the implant to "shift off the hill". He says that there is nothing that can be done to revise this and it's just my anatomy. Have any other surgeons experienced this? Thank you in advance.

5 weeks post op breast implants

Five weeks is still early. The implants are still setting. Continue to follow-up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns with them. For our patients, we recommend massages until the implant settles completely, which can take up to three to six months.

Chest wall abnormality

Without seeing photographs, it's difficult to make any comments. On the whole, many patients with chest wall abnormalities will have dissimilarity of the positioning of breast implants due to the location of the convexities and concavity's of the chest wall. Sometimes a secondary procedure when the implant has migrated out word to reef up the lateral portion of the pocket and reinforce it with Strattice will hold that implant towards the center. Ask your plastic surgeon if such a procedure may be right for you. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Results

Unfortunately, without seeing you in person, it is impossible to truly comment. However, I can say with certainty that a patient's anatomy always affects the final results. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant placement five weeks after surgery

Its difficult to give you advice without pre and post op photographs or more importantly an in person examination.  Generally speaking though, your anatomy will affect your results.  Typical abnormalities that do this are "caved in chest" or pectus excavatum and "pidgeon chest" or barrel chest.  The effect of rib age abnormalities on breast augmentation results can be predicted pre-operatively.

Asymmetry

I always try to advise my patients that implants will not change their native anatomy.  If the breasts are asymmetrical before surgery, it is likely that they will be asymmetrical after surgery.  Augmentation can even make the asymmetry more apparent.  If you can post photos before and after it will be easier to give you more specific advice.

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for your question. Photos can be very helpful to us trying to advise you. But, yes, underlying anatomy of the rib cage and chest wall are variables that we can't easily change during breast augmentation surgery, and so some asymmetry will persist. However, you are in the early phases of healing still, and you will need a couple more months or more to really assess the situation. I'd recommend continued follow up w/ your surgeon. Best wishes

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Like my colleagues have stated, it's hard to give an opinion in your case without an in person examination. Best to see another board certified plastic surgeon who can properly examine you and evaluate you and give you the best recommendations. Good luck!

Implant too far to the side

It is not really possible to give a specific opinion without an examination, or at least some pre and post op pictures. Speaking in general, it is absolutely true that the shape of the chest can affect the position of the implants, and in fact some asymmetries are due not to the breasts themselves but to the shape of the rib cage.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

Without having the ability to examine you in person, I can not say whether this is true or not, but your anatomy will affect the position of the implant.