5 weeks post-op and left implant feels too far to the side? (Photo)

I had 265cc silicone implants placed under the muscle 5 weeks ago. Prior to surgery my left breast was slightly bigger due to the bone underneath the nipple protruding. Also, my left nipple pointed outwards a bit more than my right. Now I feel like the left implant is too far out to the side and I'm worried they are uneven. I know the right side still has some dropping to do but is there anything I can do to guide the left inwards? I'm massaging 3 times a day as per my surgeons instructions.
This post has been updated here.

Breast implant positioning concern

Hello and thanks for your questions and photographs.  Hopefully you find this forum useful.

At 5 weeks postop, you are still early in the recovery period.  Many factors affect the ultimate appearance including pre-existing anatomy, implant selection, and surgical technique among others.  All that said, it takes 3-6 months for the implants to settle into position so I would advise you to hold off on assessing the final result for another 5 months.  I recognize that this can be somewhat nerve-racking so please remain in touch with your surgeon regarding your concerns.  Even if a revision would be appropriate, it would be far to early to make that decision.  

Good luck!

Left implant too far to side

You comparing your post photo  preop, what I see is a magnification of the dissimilarity of the two breasts. The left one was wider in its base with an larger than the right. With two similar size implants I would expect the result that you have. I would wait at least 4 to 6 months before deciding on any type of revision. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

5 weeks post-op and left implant feels too far to the side?

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast implant settling after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you.

It is common to have different women's implants settle at different rates over different periods of time. They will remain high for at least a few weeks. If your pre-existing anatomy has your breast creases or breast folds at different positions, they implants will settle to different places. So your preoperative anatomy has a lot to do with a final result. So does the skill of your plastic surgeon, size of breast implants, saline and silicone settle differently, skin quality and activity levels. You are still early so give it some more time. It may take 2-4 months to really see where you are.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

BBA

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

5 weeks postop

Thanks for your question.

I recommend you to wear a functional bra for the correction.

It should be shaped to push left side breast to the midline.

You can control the shoulder line to match your bra to your post op breasts.

So visit your surgeon and talk about fitting a functional brassier for you.

Good Luck.

Joo Hyuk Lee, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

As others have said you are early in recovery and I expect that with massage and time the implants will drop more and the left will appear less pronounced on the side. I am sure your surgeon placed the implant more to the side in an attempt to correct the lateral (side) displacement of your nipple-this should ultimately give you a nice result at 3-4 months.