Is Going to a MediSpa for Injections a Good Idea?

I had radiesse injected in my cheeks about 18 months ago and was pleased with the results. Now it's time to do it again but I've moved so I can't go to the cosmetic surgeon who did it. It seems like everyone around me only has the nurses do the injections and it's just a Medispa. Is it a good idea to go to them for injections, especially radiesse? Or is it better to just go to a surgeon for injections?

Doctor Answers 12

Radiesse Injections in a Medispa

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The success of your treatment will depend entirely upon the ability of the physician who injects you, not the building they are working in. The effectiveness of your Radiesse treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination.  Please remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting these fillers is the most critical part of your achieving a beautiful, natural result. I strongly recommend against having a nurse inject you as Radiesse injections are not reversible. If possible, look for a physician who is on the medical education faculty for Radiesse. That way you will know they have lots of experience as they train other physicians how to inject. They are typically either dermatologists or plastic surgeons.



South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Fillers such as Radiesse should be injected by a physician if possible

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are probably nurses that have more experience injecting fillers and might do it better than some physicians are are just starting out, but as Radiesse is not dissolvable it might be best to have an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon inject you with Radiesse. I do all injections on my patients.  Volumization and facial restoration is an art and science.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Who's the best to inject Radiesse???

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Just because a person has an "MD"  following their last name does not necessarily mean they are the best injector.  I would recommend seeing a provider who has a lot of experience with Radiesse.  It truly is a great product if injected by the right person.  In my office I have my 3 very experienced Physician Assistants that do most of the injectables.

Hope this helps.

 Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Injections at a MediSpa

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's your face, the most visible part of your body, so you should be very circumspect about who you trust to inject fillers into it.  I recommend that you research who actually does the injections at the MediSpa you are considering, and make sure they are very experienced and qualified to do so.  As a rule, you will be well served to choose a physician in a specialty that works regularly on cosmetic aspects of the face.  They include facial plastic and general plastic surgeons, dermatologists, and oculoplastic specialists.  While hyaluronic acid fillers can be reversed if you don't like the result, Radiesse cannot.  Therefore, trust your face to an expert!  Incidentally, I do all the injections on patients who come to see me.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Med Spas and Medi Spas for Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No!  See an experienced, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with an excellent reputation and a meticulous eye and talent for aesthetics.  in my opinion, the filler (i.e., the person doing the injecting) is more important than the filler (i.e, Juvederm, Radiesse, etc.) that is injected.  Injecting Botox and fillers is an art and a science.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Why would you have anyone but a physician inject fillers into your face?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Why would you have anyone but a physician inject fillers into your face? And that physician should be highly trained and experienced such a dermatologist. In my experience, many physicians who delegate filler injections are often not interested, or not properly trained themselves.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Medispa for Radiesse Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I do all of my own Botox and filler injections. Having said that,  I suggest you see results in other patients done by an MD, nurse, or Medispa.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Injections and who to go to

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is a filler that can not be corrected once in place. A physician injector with alot of experience would likely be a good choice for the cheek area.

Med spa for injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the med spa has a cosmetic surgeon doing the injections yes If not i would seek a physician with experience who knows and understand the anatomy.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

MD, Plastic Surgeon, Nurse or Medispa for Radiesse injections.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  All of the above can perform soft tissue fillers including Radiesse.  The real issue, IMHO is not whether or not they can do your Radiesse but rather do you want them to?  There's no magic in any of these fillers, including Radiesse.  The aesthetic results of Radiesse and all fillers depends on the aesthetic eye of who's doing the injections.  I've seen patient, injected elsewhere, who's faces looked puffed up, distorted and down right scary looking because to much was placed in the wrong place.  Pick based on aesthetic judgement of the injector and you'll always look better and be happy with the results.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.