PRP Platelet Rich Plasma Hair Restoration: (1) Regular needle injections vs microneedling; (2) Number of sessions

In PRP hair treatment, (1) What are the benefits of regular needle injections of platelet rich plasma, compared to microneedling then application of platelet rich plasma on top of it? (2) How many sessions are usually done?

Benefits of PRP for hair restoration

Watch this video to see Dr. Edward Dickerson personally answer your PRP question! Get to know your options and find out if PRP is right for you.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP for Hair (micro needle).

I agree with the Doctor above. If you are "Shinny" Bald you need hair transplant. I also use both single needle and micro needle. PRP and ACell as a treatment for thinning hair has shown very promising results. This treatment is ideal for those with thinning hair, rather than total loss. Before you can know how many treatments you will need, it is always best to have a consultation, and have your expectations heard and then make a procedure plan and schedule. 

There is no standardized method of using or injecting PRP. In fact, there is no firm proof it works to treat genetic hair loss.

There is no standardized method of using or injecting PRP. In fact, there is no firm proof it works to treat genetic hair loss.  Many doctors may offer and many patients may try it with no consensus on its effectiveness.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Microneedling and PRP

You probably are not getting any benefit from micro needling and topical PRP.  Micro needling in combination with injected PRP may or may not offer any benefit. Injected PRP helps to improve coverage in a large percentage of patients based on studies, but you must recognize that some studies show no benefit from a 1x concentration of PRP, which is equivalent to whole blood.  Some studies suggest that monthly injections of PRP are better than an injection once every 6 to 12 months.  Finally, not all PRP is equivalent.  Some produce higher concentrations of platelets and some capture a higher percentage of the original platelet quantity.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP and needling

I do not use needling with PRP. I inject the PRP under the skin in order not to waist anything. I have patients do PRP every six months and when the density is to their satisfaction,  I reduce the frequency to every year. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss --- Combine with Injectable Progesterone Monthly

I combine all my injections with progesterone.  I do this monthly for 6 months and then reassess the growth.  When Ive done with microneedling in the past, it didnt do much so i switched to only injecting without needling.  Best, Dr. Emer.

PRP for hair loss

In short the goal of PRP is to stimulate your hair follicles. PRP does not regrow hair which is completely gone (the only solution for this is hair transplant). It can help to strengthen existing hair and help it grow thicker. There are multiple ways to apply the PRP (injections, micro needling and laser). For the scalp I typically recommend injections. I find this works best and doesn't disrupt any hair growth. If the patient shaves his head, laser or micro needling would work as well. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon