Does Using Medical Marijuana (Edibles: Chocolate, Brownie) Help or Hinder Breast Augmentation Recovery?

I live in California, have legal license for Medicinal Marijuana (i have sleeping problem). I don't ever smoke, only use edibles (indica type chocolate or brownies) to help with sleeping and relaxing. I was wondering if I should stop or keep on taking them after breast augmentation surgery 13 days ago? Thank you for your help.

Medical marijuana and breast augmentation

I do not know of any scientific literature which states for or against the use of medical marijuana for the recovery from breast augmentation. I don't think it inhibits recovery unless you trip and fall on the way to the refrigerator.

Breast augmentation healing and marijuana

there is no evidence that THC effects any healing good or bad.. lack of sleep , and stress will have negative affects.

It is far better than nicotine

When patients ask me this question I think it makes no difference in small quantities.  I remind them that smoking cigarettes is far worse for healing because nicotine is a potent constrictor of your blood vessels.  What makes us heal after surgery?  New blood vessels. Marijuana doesn't affect that nicotine really does.

But you should definetly tell your doctor and the anesthesiologist how much you use every day.  In the first few days after surgery no one wants you to be so stoned that you cannot follow directions or realize when something may be going wrong.  Just be sensible please.

Medical marijuana

Marijuana should be avoided.  I would discuss this with your anesthesiologist and surgeon. Maybe they can presecribe something else for sleep during the pre-and post-op surgicla period.

Medical Marijuana and Surgery

You should let your anesthesiologist and surgeon know beforehand but it should not be a problem for breast augmentation.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Use of Medical Marijuana after Breast Augmentation?

I do not know of any contraindication to the use of medical marijuana at this stage in your recovery.

Marijuana Usage and Breast Augmentation

Dear Kiwimelon,  If your breast augmentation surgery was performed 13 days ago, it is very unlikely that your use of medical marijuana will have any impact on your result and recovery at this stage.

If you have not yet had your surgery, you should discuss your marijuana use with your plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologist who will be teaming up for your surgical and post-operative care since this may influence their management of your case.

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Medical Marijuana

I have not heard of any contraindication but you should consider whether you need the marijuana or just want it. I have not heard of any research showing it is detrimental to recovery from breast augmentation.

Marijuana in the peri-operative period

Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:
1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon