I am one week post op. What can I do and how long does this feeling last?

I'm having extreme tightness from my tummy tuck which is causing anxiety issues. 

Tummy Tuck

Dear J4K1,
Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your discomfort and anxiety. Unfortunately this feeling of tightness can last for several weeks to months after surgery. Slowly over time the tightness with decrease. It is best to see your operating surgeon in person if you are concerned about the sensations you are feeling. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that you hare having anxiety issues after your tummy tuck.  The tightness from a tummy tuck may cause you to be bent over at the waist for one to two weeks but the overall sensation may last for a couple of months based on the degree of swelling that you have.  I would advocate continuing to use a compression garment and maintain close follow up appointments with your surgeon to ensure an uncomplicated recovery.  

Normal healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon