Which procedure do I need to fix the lower eye crease bags under eyes/face? I'm 40 and they are getting really bad.

Im thinking of getting Restylane injections. How would you fix this?

Lower Eyelid creases and bags in young age

You are the perfect age to have a small amount of Restylane or Belotero injected under your eyes.  The injections combined with eMatrix for the fine lines under the eyes will rejuvenate your skin.  Best, Dr. Green

Lower eyelid treatment

Hi winter74, thank you for your question and sharing your photos.  Your lower eyelids seem to show both excess fullness (bags) and hollowing underneath the fullness.  The easiest treatment is placement of Restylane filler to treat the hollowing.  This can have the effect of lessening the difference between the areas of fullness and hollowing and make the entire lower lid look smoother.  A more comprehensive approach involves lower eyelid tuck or blepharoplasty where the excess fat causing the fullness (bags) is surgically removed and the hollowing is filled with some of your own fat.  This approach can create a nicely smooth contour of the entire lower eyelid region and provides longer lasting results than the filler option alone. 

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

What can I do about my lower eyelids?

Hi Winter, from the pictures that you have provided you appear to have some bulging of the fat pads in your lower eyelids as well as hollowing in the tear trough region just below your eyelids. I typically address this by performing a lower eyelid blepharoplasty procedure to remove the bulging fat from the lower eyelids and adding a filler such as Belotero or Restylane in the tear trough. Occasionally, fat from the lower eyelid can be repositioned in order to provide volume in the appropriate area. I love these procedures because the result is very natural and blends the lower eyelid with the cheek. 

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Fillers

Injectable fillers such as Restylane work great for filling in hollowness in the tear trough region. I would recommend to seek an experienced and certified injector to make sure you are a good candidate.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane and lower eye bags

Thanks for your question. Restylane is a good filler for the lower eye creases. Results can last up to 6 months. Be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon or a certified nurse injector specialist.

German Newall, MD

Lower eyelid crease

Hi there, 

Thank you for sharing your photo and question. 

Restylane is a great option for the crease in the eyes. In medical terms, we call the crease in the eyes "tear trough" and it is one of the earlier signs of aging in the eyes.  There are other fillers that can also give you great results in the eyes, like belotero or Restylane silk. These newer fillers are less likely to show under the thin skin of the eyelid. Ask your injector about differences. If you have an experienced injector the type of filler should not be the problem.

With fillers in the tear trough, the results are temporary but they can last as much as 3- 6 months or longer in the eyelid. The procedure is very well tolerated. Because of how thin the skin in the eye is, this a little more advanced of an injection (you want to prevent swelling and make sure the filler does not show). Seek an experienced injector.

From your photos, it does not look like you have herniates fat in your eyelids, or excessive skin. I would not recommend surgery. 

Make sure you are using a good eye cream to keep your eyelid skin as healthy as possible to prevent fine wrinkling. Mild peels and lasers to the skin of the eyelid can also help.

Good luck. Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye bags

You do not really have eye bags which require surgery but you do have indentations which are very amenable to Restylane or many of the other injectable materials. just be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Restylane injections for lower eyelid bags

Thank you for posting your question and photo. Restylane is a particularly good dermal filler for the treatment of mild lower eyelid bags. Restylane is injected into the tear troughs which camouflages the bags. Results are usually seen quickly and last about 6 months. Have an experienced board certified doctor perform your treatments. Good luck.