Is this normal? Is it too soon for me to become active?

I am almost 5 months po ctt ba bl and i suffer from pain in my back incision and sides when running. I dont mean like running for excercise either just a quick sprint with my kids and i feel my incision ripping apart.

Becoming Active after a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #asymmetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Too soon to be active?

At 5 months of recovery after mommy makeover, I would expect you to be fully active. You may have been particularly overcautious early on and formed tightening of your scars that now feel stiff when you have full range of movement. I would suggest you broach this with your surgeon. You should be fully healed by now and able to resume all activity.

Thank you for your question.  After 5 months, you should not be experiencing this type of sensation and I think it best for you to see your surgeon for an evaluation.  They are in the best position to diagnose and treat any issues that are causing these symptoms.  

I appreciate your question.

Please follow up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Most patients have resume full athletic activity by five months after mommy makeover.

Speaking in a generality most patients would be fully athletically active five months after mommy makeover. In my practice, patients are permitted to engage in full athletic activity at three months provided they are doing well.

Pain 5 months after breast augmentation and lift

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and lift.

• I am so sorry you are in pain 5 months after your surgery.
  • No, it is not normal to have pain with exercise at this point.
  • Most women can comfortably begin to exercise after 6 - 8 weeks.
  • Please return to your surgeon to discuss the problem and how to treat it.
  • If you had surgery out of town and can't return to see your surgeon, find one near you to be examined and treated.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Is it too soon for me to become active?

The short answer is no. By 5 months you should be well into your normal routine. I would consult with your surgeon who can see if you have developed a neuroma or some scar tissue where your incisions are. Good luck!

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  I tell my patients that they can resume exercise at six weeks post-op, but to be sure to listen to their bodies.  At five months post-op, you should be nearly, if not completely, healed.  I recommend that you seek the advice of your operating surgeon regarding the pain that you experience while running.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL