Am I a good candidate for a breast reduction even if I am overweight? (Photo)

My chiropractor I've been with since I was 16 even when I was in the middle of a healthy BMI Suggested it and provided a note to my doctor who then made the referral for a surgeon. I was obese for a few years but lost about 60 pounds everywhere "aside from my boobs and lower back&stomach " Will me being overweight be a factor in my insurance covering a breast reduction? My back pain lower and upper is getting worse. I am 5'2 and 162 pounds my bra size is 36DDD.

Breast reduction

You might be a good candidate for abreast reduction. Ideally you want to be at your goal weight, but certainly a reduction can be performed at your size. Good luck

Breast Reduction

As long as you meet the insurance requirements for weight of reduction you should be covered.  These requirements utilize your height and weight  so it factors in if you are a bit overweight.  You can find these online and discuss the requirements with your surgeon to ensure enough tissue can be removed. 

Am I a good candidate for breast reduction,even though I'm ovewrweight?

In an ideal world your ideal weight would be nice before surgery. However, you have lost 60 lbs.and I think you would get a good result from breast reduction surgery. You may qualify for insurance coverage ,but would need a face to face to determine this. I think you would get significant back pain relief from surgery. Good luck

William Lambeth, MD (retired)
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Women who have large breasts may experience a variety of problems from the weight and size of their breasts, such as back, neck and shoulder pain and skin irritation. Many women who suffer from back pain due to the size of their breast find that the pain is unrelieved by over the counter medications, support garments, bras, and physical therapy. Some women even develop significant arthritic changes in their neck and upper back. They often find that their persistent symptoms cause a significant restriction of daily activities. Occasionally, women with large breast, suffer from non-seasonal rashes underneath their breast that are unresponsive to local hygiene and topical creams and powders. Women with large breast may notice shoulder grooving with skin irritation due to their bra straps and support garments. They may also notice pain and numbness in their arms and hands. Breast reduction is usually performed for relief of these symptoms rather than to enhance the appearance of the breasts. Breast reduction surgery removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue and skin to achieve a breast size in proportion with your body and to alleviate the discomfort associated with overly large breasts. The best candidates are those who are mature enough to understand the procedure and have realistic expectations about the results. There are a variety of different surgical techniques used to reduce and reshape the female breast. I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

Breast Reduction approval-insurance

You appear to be a very good candidate for breast reduction with DDD measurements , the photos, and your symptoms. Although you are not at an ideal weight ,as are many of our patients, the insurance companies do approve the reduction based on size of breast and most importantly the weight being removed as long as it is proportional to your body weight. The symptoms that insurance cover are neck,shoulder,and back pain along with intertrigia (growth under breast especially during warm months). Most insurance companies want to see at least 500 gm of breast tissue removed, but I have had clients approved for smaller amounts removed based on photos and less body weight. See a board certified PS and start the process with Photos and letters to the insurance co and determination takes usually less than 6 weeks

David Liland, MD

Weight loss for Breast Reduction

Dear dessy31,

Congratulations on your 60 lb weight loss. Based on the height and weight you gave, your BMI is below 35 (which is our office's cut off for scheduling surgery). Therefore, you would technically be able to go forward with surgery, however - if you have plans to lose more weight it is always better to get closer to your ideal weight prior to surgery. Whether your insurance company would cover your breast reduction would depend on your carrier and their specific criteria. I think you would benefit from getting a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, and then they can submit a letter to your insurance and see if it is a covered benefit of your plan, and whether or not you qualify for coverage. Best of luck!

Really need to lose the weight before surgery

Two things to consider before surgery:

1. No doubt that you will get a better, longer lasting result if your weight is at target when you get your surgery.  You may get a beautiful result initially, but if you then lose weight, your breasts will change and no doubt for the worse- they tend to get saggy and lose volume where you typically want it to stay (upper pole/cleavage area).
2. All the insurance companies I deal with require your BMI to be less than 30- otherwise, they just say you should lose weight and then your breasts will get smaller and they won't be a problem anymore.  While we know that isn't the case 9 times out of 10, that's their stance.  Your BMI is less than that currently, so they may approve you.

I also have to say, from your pics it may be hard to get insurance to pay for a reduction.  At your size (BMI), the least they typically want to see removed would be 500 grams from each side.  My concern would be that would get you really small- which may be ok with you, but just know upfront so you aren't upset with the change in size.  Of course, that can only be determined with an examination.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and ideally one would want to be at one's target weight prior to surgery as weight loss after surgery might adversely affect your result. Furthermore, in the eyes of your insurance carrier you are a better candidate for surgery if you are at your ideal weight and will stand a better chance of being approved for surgery. Dr. corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Thank you for your question .

Your first step with the information given should be to loose weight in order to be at good BMI so that you are healthy for a procedure.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Breast reduction

You are fine for a breast reduction now, but based on your pictures I doubt you would meet any insurance company requirements. They don't care so much about your symptoms, their primary concern is how much weight would come off of each breast. Most companies want at least 500 g per side or more and from your photographs I doubt you would have that weight removed. However it requires an examination to be sure.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD