I have a vein on my thigh, approximately 3/4" long. Is scelerotherapy the best option for removing it? (photos)

Sclerotherapy and other options

Sclerotherapy may give you the results you are looking for, however, consider a visit to a vein specialist who you can trust. Using ultrasound to scan your legs, your physician will determine if venous reflux is present. Healthy leg veins contain valves that open and close to help the blood return back to the heart. Venous reflux disease develops when the valves that keep blood flowing out of the legs and back to the heart no longer function, causing to pool in the legs and leading to signs and symptoms like dilated veins that you can see close to the skin in your legs among other symptoms you may or may not present. Factors that contribute to this include age, gender, family history, heavy lifting, pregnancies, obesity, and prolonged standing. Your physician can help you make informed health care decision on the best treatment for you according to the ultrasound results and according to your specific goals. If reflux is present, you might need more than cosmetic sclerotherapy and you can discuss this with your physician. 

Sclerotherapy and other options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question in regards to sclerotherapy. If this is the only visible vein, sclero or a laser treatment are both good options. After sclerotherapy injections, it is advised to wear compression stockings to help keep the medication injected to stay in the vein. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Sclerotherapy

Thigh vein

If this is the only vein that is noticeable, Sclerotherapy would be a great option.  If there are several of these enlarged veins along the inside of your legs a evaluation by a vein specialist would be your best option.  

Thigh vein

Yes

Based on the picture, sclerotherapy with Asclera or STS is likely to help.  You should know that it will look worse before it looks better.  If that's the only vein then sclerotherapy is definitely your best option.  However, if there are others, than you might want to consider an evaluation by a vein specialist to rule out more significant reflux.

Yes

Vein on thigh, is sclerotherapy the best option?

Thank you for your question and picture.  It does appear by your picture that sclerotherapy would be the best treatment to address your spider vein.  Medication will be injected in the vein to cause it to disappear over time.  Best of luck to you!

Reticular veins.

The posted picture shows a spider vein with possibly a feeding reticular vein.  The best treatment for this is sclerotherapy.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Reticular veins.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Spider vein of thigh

Sclerotherapy would be the best option for treatment of that vein.  I agree that if there are numerous other areas with spider veins, then an ultrasound would be indicated to see if there is an underlying issue.  If that is the only spider vein, then sclerotherapy should take care of it in one or two treatments.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Spider vein of thigh

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Sclerotherapy Still The Gold Standard For Treating Spider Veins Of The Legs

The spider vein shown in your photo is, in my experience of over three decades, the kind that easily responds well to sclerotherapy, which, despite all the laser and IPL hype of recent years, remains the gold standard for treating spider leg veins. Successful treatment usually requires somewhere between two to four treatment sessions spaced at monthly intervals. Make sure to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise in treating spider veins and of course ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding. 

Best Option for Veins on Legs

Injection sclerotherapy of cosmetic veins on the legs is THE gold standard.

Surface laser treatments are painful, expensive and often do not work.

Spider veins or surface veins on your legs are like "weeds". Weeds have roots, and if you do not get rid of the roots, the weeds grow back. This is why surface treatments other than sclerotherapy do not work on legs veins.

When you inject a sclerosant like Polidocanol or Sotradecol -- both are FDA approved for cosmetic vein treatment -- the sclerosant gets down into and destroys the "roots" of the spider vein leading to better and more lasting results.

We usually use "foam" sclerotherapy which allows us to treat more spider veins, with less needle sticks, more effectively. We use a needle the size of human hair. Foam is little used in the USA but is an amazing technology for superior results in medical and cosmetic vein care.

We are so confident in our cosmetic outcomes that we have offered a 100% patient satisfaction guarantee for many years.

Your best advice is to find a vein specialist with good reviews and reputation.

Many vein care specialists focus only on medical vein disease and not cosmetic vein problems so search carefully.

Christopher Pittman, MD
Tampa Phlebologist

Best Option for Veins on Legs

Christopher Pittman, MD
Tampa Phlebologist

Options.

if this is the only vein. I think sclerotherapy would do a nice job.  I am would only say that if there are multiple abnormal veins in the legs I would recommend a venous ultrasound the confirm there isn't a causal venous reflux.  

Jordan Knepper, MD
Ann Arbor Vascular Surgeon

Options.

Jordan Knepper, MD
Ann Arbor Vascular Surgeon