Lipo vs. Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am 48 y.o. I am 5’2 and weight 125 – 127 lbs. Do you think I can get away with just lipo or I need one of the tummy tucks (mini or full)? I have already scheduled an appointment with PS, but also would like to get your opinion. Thank you very much for sharing your opinion.

Lipo vs. Mini Tummy Tuck vs. Tummy Tuck?

I think Lipo can improve your abdominal area pretty much enough, but if you don't want to take the risk of being unsatisfied with the possible lose skin, the I recommend a Tummy Tuck, but keep in mind that, since, you don't have that much skin already, your scar will be high, which is something important to take into consideration. I do think a personal consultation will be the best for you. I hope this answer was helpful. 

Lipo versus mini tummy tuck versus tummy tuck.

In the pictures, it appears that you have some fullness in your lower abdominal area. It does not appear that you have a large amount of skin laxity or skin excess for that matter. Depending on what your goal is, it would appear to me that you may benefit from a liposuctioning procedure. This would help to slim down the area below your umbilicus. A tummy tuck is usually advised when there is a great deal of excess skin.

Lipo vs Tummy tuck

A liposuction alone will remove the fat but may leave your skin loose.
A liposuction alone will not tighten your muscles and leave the laxity of the abdominal wall.
A mini tuck is a lipo with a small amount of skin removal and no muscle tightening above the belly button which may be an option for you.
A full tummy tuck would take care of the lipo, muscle tightening and skin removal but it all depends on how much skin you have, and how stretchy it is. 
Best bet is to see a plastic surgeon or two... to see all your best options

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

TT vs. Lipo?

You may be a candidate for something in between a tummy tuck and simple liposuction. I call mine a Cherry procedure. It's a combination lower mini tummy tuck and lipo-sculpture of the upper abdomen and flanks. There are no drains involved, nor are there any belly button scars. Your lower abdominal muscles may, or may not, need approximation, but your over all shape will be improved.  See a board certified plastic surgeon who; does a ton of tummy tuck/liposuction procedures, and operates at a certified facility...and you'll be in good hands.

TT or lipo?

Hello and thanks for your photos.  Depending upon your goals a liposuction procedure may be right for you. The surgery will remove fat and tighten skin. 

Based on your photos, you could certainly try liposuction first if you are trying to avoid a long scar and have a quicker recovery. If you aren't satisfied with that, then a tummy tuck could be done at a later date. However, if your goal is to have the flattest abdomen possible, then a tummy tuck with liposuction is the best option. Good luck!

Tummy tuck candidate, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In this regard I recommend you a Tummy Tuck, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Need to examine

Just from looking at the photos and without a dynamic exam of the muscles, it's hard to say which procedure would be best. Generally speaking, if there's no skin laxity  and a very small amount of muscle diastsis above the bellybutton then a mini abdominoplasty with liposuction only above the umbilicus would be appropriate. If there's virtually no skin laxity than liposuction alone would work. If the skin laxity extends above the bellybutton then in my opinion  a full abdominoplasty would be the procedure of choice. Good luck with your search and your anticipated procedure

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

From your photos I would suggest a Tummy Tuck with muscle plication. I think you may disappointed in your results with just liposuction. 

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Need exam but many options

What your goals are and what scars you are willing to accept are part of the decision. You appear to have some rectus muscle laxity above the belly button that only sutures can fix. A modern procedure with vaser ultrasonic lipo and full rectus plication with what we call floating the bellybutton with lower modified skin excision would be my best guess of the right procedure for you. That being said You do have a number of minimally invasive options that may make you happy. Good luck on consultation!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon