Implant rotation or something else? (photos)

I am 3 weeks post BA with textured anatomicals (MemoryShape 260cc) placed under the muscle (dual plane 1). My left breast looks great but my right breast looks off. Has the implant rotated? I have an appointment with my surgeon next week and I don't know if there is any point in moving it up as a revision is the only choice for rotation, correct?

Implant rotation

After the operation you will have bandages on your donor area which will be removed at the 3rd postoperative day. We will wash your head and teach you how to take care with the donor and scalp area. You will be advised some products that you have to use after the operation. Your newly transplanted hairs will start to fall after the 3rd week which is a natural process after the hair transplantation. The new hairs will start to grow at the 3rd month and the complete results will be seen in 9 month of period.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

Since you are still so early in your recovery, my guess is that what you are experiencing is due to asymmetrical post op swelling. Regardless, seeing your surgeon is the right call as it should be assessed in person. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant rotation or something else?

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant Rotation

It has only been 3 weeks.  It is not uncommon to have more swelling on one side than the other.  Don't fret yet. Give it time.  If after 6 months it still looks off, then you can discuss revision.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

I do not think there is any reason to rush to move up your appointment. It is far too early to judge the shape of the implants, and whether or not they have rotated. You are right though in that if the implant has rotated it will typically require surgery to change the position. Don't worry just yet.

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Rotation of anatomical textured implants at 3 weeks post-op is always possible, but not likely

There are a few things of a general nature that I can offer you in response to your concerns; it is hard to tell anything specific about your breasts from just looking at the pictures that you have provided as 1) they are early postop results, and things will change more over time  2) a personal exam would be necessary to conclusively determine implant position, and 3) we haven't seen any preop images to compare these to, so we don't know if there was any asymmetry or malposition of your natural breasts which could be carried through to your postoperative breasts as well.  On a general note though, first, I do a LOT of breast augmentation with shaped anatomical implants (which are always textured, by the way), and I have yet to see anything that looks anything like an obvious rotation in my experience.  I'm sure it's possible, but I think that it is WAY overestimated by the surgeons who fear that it happens a lot and scare patients off from shaped implants.  For one thing, any surgeon who has sufficient experience with any textured implants, round or shaped, will tell you that the texturing is quite rough, creating a friction on the tissues.  As a result, those implants are not that easy to move within the pocket, even when we are inserting them and have the pocket open and can directly manipulate the implant.  It takes a bit of an effort once the implant is inserted just to get it positioned just right.  Therefore, to think that once a well-formed pocket is closed and the implant is completely contacted on all surfaces by the tissues, it can simply shift and move and rotate to any degree very easily is a bit far-fetched in my opinion.  If your implant(s) wind up being rotated, it is more likely that they were put in that way at surgery than rotated after surgery, and given that there is an orientation mark on all of the shaped implants, and most surgeons are competent enough to use that mark properly, it is unlikely that they would be put in rotated.  Again, I'm not saying that any of this is impossible, I'm just saying it's all very unlikely.  In addition to that, you are only 3 weeks out from surgery, and it will be difficult to tell anything about your final result or implant position because there is still swelling and tightness of your tissues that will change as healing progresses.  I typically don't judge final results or the need for any revisions, including any repositioning of implants, until about 3 months postop at the earliest.  Thus, my advice to you is to relax and keep your appointment with your surgeon next week, as it is likely he or she will simply want to wait and observe things a bit longer.  In the unlikely event that your implant(s) is rotated, you're right, the only way to correct that would be to physically open up the implant space and reposition the implant, which fortunately is not that involved if that is ever necessary.  Good luck!

Shaped Implant rotation

I'm sorry you are having concerns about your surgery. thanks for sharing your pictures and question.
Lets start by saying that is too soon to determine the rotation of your implants. However, the placement of this type of implant is technically very demanding. Not only the surgery has to be very precise, but the range of motion may favor the displacement even if your surgeon did a perfect job. Hopefully by 6 weeks your swelling is settle down and your implants are in the right place.

contact your surgeon and raised your concerns.
He will be able to guide you best in your treatment.

best wishes.

Rotation?

It is too early to tell if you have rotation of the implants.  Best to be patient and not panic at this point. Good luck.

Have my shaped implants rotated?

The incidence of shaped implant rotation approximates only 1% in a recent study.  At 3 weeks, you still have swelling and your implants have not yet settled into place.  It will take 3-6 months before your tissue swelling has resolved and the implants are in their "final" position.  Only then can you make a faithful assessment of breast shape, size, position, and symmetry.  Good luck with a smooth recovery!

Implant rotation?

Thank you for the question and the photographs. At 3 weeks post op you are still in the early phase of healing.This period will typically last approximately 3 months. After this initial time period the swelling will continue to improve and the soft tissues will accommodate allowing your final results to appear. Be patient, this process can occur at differing rates in each of the breasts. I tell my patients that they will not see their final results for up to 6 months. I would recommend to continue in close follow up with your plastic surgeon as they are in the best position to make recommendations in the post operative period. Best wishes.