Doctor's ASPS certification has lapsed. Is this a red flag? Having a BA in 1 week

I have scheduled a BA in 1 week with a doctor who says he is a member of the ASPS. I just double-checked on a website and his name is no longer listed. I called the ASPS and they said show activity up until Aug of this year (2 weeks ago). Does this mean that his certification likely just lapsed because of unpaid dues or some other administrative issue? He is in good standing with the State board and the American Board of Plastic Surgery and doesn't have any actions against him.

The ASPS is not a certifying organization, it is a membership that the doctor pays to join. Some surgeons end up leaving the society if they feel they are not getting any benefit form the membership. It certainly does not affect his surgical skill.

No flags

I believe that your surgeon may have forgotten to pay his dues or chosen to no longer be affiliated with the ASPS. This action is not necessarily a red flag it may be an oversight or a personal choice. Simply ask your surgeon. If you are not comfortable with the answer it's time to move on and find another doctor. 

ASPS membership

Only one way to know for sure what is going on.  Ask your surgeon about this.  Do not worry about offending him or her.  This is a totally reasonable question and concern.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

ASPS Certification

You should talk to your plastic surgeon about this.  Also, the best thing to trust is your intuition and gut.  Good luck!

ASPS membership

Dear pharmd,

It is difficult to answer your question without knowing the details. My best guess is that his staff forgot to pay the dues. You can call the society and ask if there are any issues with that surgeon.

ASPS membership and plastic surgery board certification are important because they reflect the professional good standing of the surgeon. However, from your stand point, more important are the before and after pictures in the photo gallery that hopefully are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also important is to check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.

Dr Widder

You should ask your surgeon why this is so. It may be an error or lapse in his membership because he forgot to pay his dues. 

As the others have indicated, ask your surgeon and find out what is going on. He may not even know that he is no longer part of ASPS. Depending on the answers you may need to dig further into the situation.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

There is nothing wrong with asking your surgeon about your concern.  I am sure there is a logical explanation, as to why his membership has lapsed. 

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

ASPS membership.

Thanks for your question. Your surgeon may still be board certified by the American board of Plastic Surgery even without membership in the American Society of Plastic surgery. Both are nice to be a part of, but board certification is more important. When in doubt just ask your surgeon. There is likely a good reason.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  It sounds like you are doing a great job with your research of your surgeon's background.  This is always a good idea prior to committing to surgery. I recommend that you ask your surgeon.  There could be a very logical and simple reason for this such as he/she forgot to pay dues, etc.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD