Is ThermiVa or Vaginal surgery the better option? What's the price of both options in Texas / Oklahoma?

I am wanting vaginal rejuvenation due to laxation in the vagina. I have tried kegels for over a year and the vaginal muscles are just weak. I am worried about thermiva not working. What provides better results thermiva or actual vaginal surgery? And the prices of the two in Texas and or Oklahoma.

ThermiVa or surgery

Thank you for the questions. 

I think the answer to that is it depends on what results you are expecting and how weak or loose the muscles are. If your vaginal wall has a lot of laxity, you would benefit more from a vaginoplasty . I try to explain to my patients that if the muscles are too far apart , they need surgery to help get you the results they want. Sometimes, a nonsurgical option like ThermiVA is a better option if there is not too much laxity, and patients can avoid a surgical procedure. A non-surgical procedure also has minimal risks. In the case of ThermiVA there is virtually no risk except the cost if it does not work to your expectations. The prices differ widely. An exam with an experienced doctor in the procedure can help guide your decision making. 

Nonsurgical vs Surgical Vaginal Rejuvenation & Costs

#Non-surgical treatments with #Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients. With the availability of recent technology, there are few nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation options available for our patients. CO2 fractionated lasers include the FemiLift, MonaLisa Touch and IntimaLase. The ThermiVa is radiofrequency energy that can also treat the outer Labia to reduce and tighten this area.
It can increase blood flow, sensitivity, and orgasm. It can increase moisture and decrease urinary incontinence for many women.
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma ) can be added to these procedures which may make a difference in the outcome. It can be injected into the vaginal mucosa to increase circulation and vaginal health, O-shot. PRP can also be used for a “G” Shot which is injected into the G-spot.
Such non-surgical laser vaginal rejuvenation require approximately 3 sessions. Once or twice yearly follow up treatments are recommended to maintain vaginal health. Also, if PRP is being added there is an additional fee per treatment session.
However, surgery is the most common treatment. It can usually corrected your concern in less than one hour with the use of a local anaesthetic. Often, many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.
The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one consultation.

Costs for #CosmeticLabIaplasty and #CosmeticFemaleSugery
will depend on the following:
-The specific surgery that is requested
-The type of anesthesia
-The experience of the surgery
-The geographical location of the surgery
Estimated fees may also be found here on Real Self, and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery website.

ThermiVa for vaginal laxity

Thank you for your question. I must say that ThermiVa is great for directly targeting and treating laxity-related issues while promoting the production of collagen. ThermiVa would reduce and shrink your labias and tighten your vagina over the course of 3 treatments. Moreover it would help with stress incontinence and vaginal dryness too if that's something of concern for you. It really works! The cost of ThermiVa is much lower, nearly half as much as vaginal rejuvenation surgery. That's because ThermiVa involves local anesthesia, no downtime (you can go to work or go about your day immediately upon treatment), and approximately three 30 minute treatments. Meanwhile if you go forth with surgery, you'll have to pay for added time, downtime to recover (no work), operating room fees, anesthesiology, etc. I recommend you to consult with a ThermiVa expert and an expert in vaginal rejevuation surgery during your research/decision process. Best of luck!

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

ThermiVa has great results

Regarding laxity, ThermiVa is actually going to be the better choice. Laxity is a muscle and collagen issue, which ThermiVa's radiofrequency heat can treat. Listen to this testimonial from one of my patients.

Jayesh Panchal, MD
Edmond Plastic Surgeon

Cost of vaginal surgery

Although there is risk with any procedure there is very little risk of excessive scar tissue or desensitization with the FemiLift, Mona Lisa or ThermiVa devices. FemiLift™ and Mona Lisa™ procedures use CO2 laser technology and the ThermiVa™ uses RF (radiofrequency) to shrink vaginal tissue and increase lubrication if dryness is a problem. The tightening is often sufficient to improve or correct urinary stress incontinence and/or mild cystoceles. The procedure is done in office and requires little or no post procedure down time.
The advantages are :
  • Minimally invasive, virtually painless procedure
  • Gentle treatment for controlled safety and accuracy
  • Maximum precision with Alma CO2 laser, the right wavelength and perfect pulse
  • Fast and efficient delivery of fractionated laser energy split into micro pixels
  • No post treatment downtime
  • Excellent patient satisfaction and long term success The Disadvantage of the FemiLift and MonaLisa is that is is only for vaginal treatment whereas the ThermiVa RF device can be used to shrink the labia minora as well and is more comfortable. These procedures cannot narrow the vaginal canal as much as a vaginoplasty surgery

• vaginal Rejuvenation cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

• 1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

• 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?
#vaginalrejuvenation
#vaginaltightening
#vaginoplasty

Vaginal rejuvenation

We have had great results with ThermiVa and there are plenty of patient testimonials to confirm this. The question of surgery versus ThermiVa really depends on the degree of vaginal relaxation which is determined at the time of your exam. A vaginoplasty to surgically tighten will offer longer lasting results while ThermiVa will require occasional touch ups. In either case, there are certainly treatment options available for you. Best wishes. Please refer to my video below for the costs of vaginoplasty.  Best wishes.

Pricing for vaginal rejuvenation SURGERY range from $6000-$15000, depending on what particular procedures you may need. The choice between ThermiVa & surgery is simple because ThermiVa does not work. It is a worthless procedure. Mona Lisa Touch and Femi Lift by Alma are both fractional CO2 laser devices. They are equally effective and produce excellent results. We have Femi Lift in our practice.

ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have not seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI. Lastly many have posted that ThermiVa is a "newer" technology. That is just patently untrue. Fractional CO2 laser technology was first used clinically in the early 2000's. Radio frequency has been in use since the 1980's and the external application (like ThermiVa) was how RF was first used. People, do your homework and do not trust those who are untruthful!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

See a doctor

The best answer for this is entirely dependent on your individual situation.  I suggest that you see a pelvic floor surgeon to fully evaluate your situation and make a good recommendation.  If you are interested in Thermiva, see a urogynecologist or gynecologist that does both pelvic floor surgery and offers Thermiva and then you can make your best choice.

It depends....

The best thing you can do to evaluate your needs is to be seen by someone who is a specialist in pelvic reconstructive surgery. That physician will be able to tell you whether your needs should be met surgically first.  Surgical reconstruction does not help with vaginal atrophy or sexual/orgasmic dysfunction, so if you need help with these issues ThermiVa may be an option to do along with surgery.

In my practice, I evaluate for suitability for non-surgical treatment, then I treat with ThermiVa if eligible. I am having excellent results for vaginal laxity, vaginal atrophy, and sexual dysfunction.
The cost of surgery depends greatly on your insurance, your procedure, and your length of stay.  Copays on hospital stays, the percentage of the charges you are responsible for, and in or out of network charges all factor in to the cost.

ThermiVa costs from $3000-$4500 for a series of three treatments.  

Vaginal rejuvenation

The option best for you really depends on your desires and your present anatomy. If childbirth has separated the tightening muscles of the vagina excessively, a surgical vaginal rejuvenation procedure is most likely your best option. This can be combined with other procedures including labiaplasty and G or O shot procedures to enhance your sexual sensations. This surgical option is more of a permanent solution for significant laxity. Cost is from $4,000 to $6,500 depending on what you need.

For mild laxity, ThermiVa vaginal tightening is a good option. I prefer this radiofrequency method over the laser methods because there is no downtime (you can have sex the night of the procedure!) plus it can enhance the sensitivity of the pelvic areas including the clitoris and the vulva. Thus, you get mild vaginal tightening with and enhance sexual sensation. Cost is $1,000 per treatment for most physicians.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN