At what point should I be concerned about my incision still being red? I am 9 months post op. (photos)

I am 9 months post op from a behind the muscle breast augmentation. My incision location was located under the breast in the fold. My scar is still red and very noticable. I am concorned that something is wrong because it hasn't significantly reduced in redness or appearance. How long does it take the redness to go away and at what point should I be concerned about it?

Incision Healing

It can take quite a bit of time for incisions to heal.  The color is darker than the surrounding tissue, hydroquinone can help for some patients.  Fraxel is another option.  Speak with your surgeon who can look at your incisions more closely. 

At what point should I be concerned about my incision still being red?

The reality is that everyone heals a bit differently, largely due to genetics.  The pace at how these scars fade will differ from one person to the next.  It may take more time in your case.  There are many options for scar care like silicone tape and gel.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Scar Redness

Hi 

Thank you for your question
Scarring is very much an individual thing. I may repair everyone the same way and see many different types of scar. a general rule is that scars tend to look there best at the 18 month mark and the only real useful treatment is silicone tape or gel which advances the maturation of scars. It would be easy to apply a silicone gel to this area. that and Patience are all that is needed but be reassured that there isn't anything wrong
Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Normal progression

The redness looks normal, and can last up to 2 years.  You incisions look fine.  At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome. It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant. It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look. Be patient.

Incision still red at 9 months

Everyone heals differently and most scars don't start loosing their color until 12 months. They may continue to fade for years. Hopefully you have been doing some form of scar care like silicone gel sheeting or a scar cream. Your surgeon may have some options for treating you scars after with lasers and light tretments to improve the color. Wait a long time before you choose a scar revision (closer to 2 years) because you may be pleasantly surprised by how much they can continue to improve.
Sincerely,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Red scar

Thank you for your question and the photos.
It can take over a year for scars to settle, for some people even longer. From the photos it does not look like there is anything wrong with the scar other than redness. Give it a few more months after then you may wish to see medical advice on how to improve the look of the scars.

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon