Hernia fix with diastasis repair not included? (Photo)

I have a "big" hernia and diastasis recti after 3 large babys. I'm 110 lb 5'2. I'm a runner also and having lots of hip and lower back, sciatica issues preventing me from running. I would like for the diastasis to get fixed along with the hernia to eventualy run with less issues. All responses I've seen seem to point that that only can be achieved via tummy tuck. Can a hernia be mended without fixing the diastasis? What can I expect from my visit to the general surgeon?

Doctor Answers 6

Diastasis not Hernia

Your pictures look like a Diastasis Recti without an obvious hernia. You would be the perfect candidate for a tummy tuck by a board certified plastic surgeon since you also have loose stretched out skin. That's not unexpected in a petite woman with large babies.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Is diastasis recti repair possible without surgery?

Your may wish to investigate the Kupler Technique a non-invasive technique to correct your diastasis recti. Your pictures indicate you would be an excellent candidate for the Kupler Technique. If an umbilical hernia is still present after the diastasis recti correction with the Kupler Technique, you could consult a general surgeon for repair options. Your umbilical hernia probably could be corrected with a laparoscopic procedure using tiny incisions.

Charles W. Spenler, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repairs and diastasis recti repairs

The large vertical bulge appears to be the diastasis to which you're referring. You sound as if you understand that a diastasis is not a true hernia, and that you have a separate hernia elsewhere. If it's an umbilical hernia, it is repaired when an abdominoplasty is done, and the rectus diastasis is repaired as well. All these are done as part of an abdominoplasty. The recovery from a tummy tuck really has to do with the muscle part of the surgery, so it makes the most sense to have the full tummy tuck and remove all the extra, loose skin.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Tummy tuck with hernia and rectus diastasis

Hi.  Yes, it is possible to have a hernia repair without repairing a diastasis.  And, yes, a general surgeon can do that.  BUT, combining this with a tummy tuck would likely fix all that is necessary AND give you a much better cosmetic outcome (which may not occur if all of the issues aren't fixed and if a general surgeon performs a midline scar repair).  Also, it is possible that the bulge that you have may not be a true hernia, so getting into a plastic surgeon's office for an exam would be the best first step.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Hernia of abdominal wall or Diastasis?

A hernia is a hole in the abdominal wall where intestine or fatty tissue below the muscle can protrude and possibly get trapped.  If intestine gets trapped in the hernia, emergency medical attention is required.  A diastasis is stretching of the abdominal wall tissue but there is no hole present.  The tissue can become very thin and bulge as in your photo.  Therefore, a hernia and a diastasis are two different problems.  Have an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon who will refer you to a general surgeon if a hernia is also present.  Both issues can be addressed at the same surgical procedure.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Hernia not

Your photos seem to show disastasis not a hernia. Given your skin and abdomen anatomy the clear correct answer is abdominoplasty. The repair of your muscles and skin may well solve your back pain as well. 

A general surgeon repair is not the best choice. That will leave you with a long vertical scar. 

See a board certified plastic surgeon. Don't skimp on this one. You should get a great result. 

Mark Eberbach, MD
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.