I would like a mommy makeover. I know I am considered high risk, but would I be denied?

I have a protein c deficiency (which was discovered because I had the embolisms) and 3 1/2 years ago had a renal and pulmonary embolism (caused by my birth control) . I had a baby 11 months ago and took lovenox and heparin shots while I was pregnant. I have had no health issues since being discharged from my doctor over 2 years ago. I've even had a tubal ligation with no complications.

Thank you for your question, Thank you for your question, it is requires your surgeon and specialist agree that it's safe to proceed with surgery. Best to find an ASPS or ASAPS member in your area for Evaultaion and consultation.

Good coordination and evaluation by a Hematologist is crucial

If you were my patient, I would encourage you to you to do the procedures separately - ie do a tummy tuck first and then any breast operation second. In addition, I would want you to be re-evaluated by a hematologist prior to any surgery to get their recommendations surgery and on anti-coagulation during the pre-operative period. Protein C Deficiency exists on a spectrum and where you are on this spectrum is important to assess before any surgery. And of course, trying to do too much at once when there are underlying health issues can be a very unwise decision. That is definitely a good sign that you had no issues with your tubal ligation, but realistically it is a much smaller operation with less tissue and time involved than what is involved with a tummy tuck or mommy makeover.

When patients need extra anticoagulation, they will tend to ooze more and lose more blood from all their surgical sites - tummy tuck, breast, liposuction, etc. after their surgery so I feel it is better to limit the number of surgical sites in such patients at one time. But the first thing to do would be to talk with your hematologist about your upcoming plans and get their clearance and recommendations as if they feel the surgery is not safe, finding a surgeon who would do your surgery is not a good thing...

High risk

I would recommend you find a board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure your surgeon is aware of your condition. You may be required to have medical clearance from your PCP. 

Best of Luck to you.

Mommy makeover for protein C deficient patient?

This is definitely a situation that requires coordination between your plastic surgeon and a hematologist who is familiar with exactly what the operation entails. You may be judged to be an unsuitable candidate with exceptionally high risks if the blood situation cannot be corrected. Alternatively, if you are cleared to undergo surgery, with or without operative use of Lovenox or similar agents, it may be safer to limit the duration of operation to under three hours at a time and to plan on an overnight observation period in an inpatient insitution.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Surgical candidate

You will need to have surgical clearance due to your embolisms from a hematologist.  The doctor and your surgeon will likely need to be in collaboration with your care to minimize your risk.  You may have to break your procedures up into stages as well.  You still may be a candidate, but there will be some ground work first.  Your safety is always the number one priority.

Camille Cash, MD

Proceeding with a mommy makeover any patient with a history of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

You are not necessarily not a candidate for mommy makeover surgery. Prophylaxis for the clotting issues will be discussed by the surgeon. Depending on your size and the number of procedures entertained, the mommy makeover process may be broken up into more than one operative session.

Protein C Deficiency and Surgery

Protein C deficiency with a history of a pulmonary and renal embolism indeed needs to be taken seriously. A mommy make over including a tummy tuck, long surgery in general, together with this condition makes you more prone to similar potentially life threatening clotting complications. I would strongly recommend that you have your hematologist together with your plastic surgeon discuss in great detail with you your potential risks going forward. Anti-coagulation, and other preventative measures should be discussed. 

Mommy make-over with protein C deficiency

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am sorry you've been through so much but glad things are better now.
  • You probably can have a mommy make-over but it will take careful planning -
  • Your hematologist would have to clear you for surgery, to start.
  • You would definitely need lovenox and heparin -
  • You would probably need pre and post operative ultrasound studies 
  • And depending on what you need done, it may be wiser to have the surgery in two sessions, not all at once.
  • It is critically important that you find a plastic surgeon who will take the time to work with your hematologist and with you to keep this as safe as possible.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your numerous blood clots. Though your history does not rule out the possibility of a mommy makeover it would be wise to have your selected plastic surgeon work closely with your hematologist to determine the best preventive treatment with anticoagulation before any future surgery.  A thorough discussion as to methods to minimize all of your health risks needs to be performed.  Hope this helps.

Depends on surgeon

You will likely have to visit/consult with several plastic surgeons to find one willing to take on your high risk case as some are just too conservative to take on a high risk case such as yours. With guidance from a hematologist you should be a candidate for your desired procedures, likely in a staged fashion to shorten the operating time.