Does it look like I need a tummy tuck? Or liposuction? (Photos)

I've recently had a baby about 10 months ago, and have been trying to get my pre baby body back, but I have stretch marks, slight loose skin, and some fat. So I just need to know what procedure I probably need done.

Does it look like I need a tummy tuck? Or liposuction?

You look very good for having had a baby 10 months ago.  You look so good now that I would not be willing to place an abdominoplasty scar on your very nice abdomen.

I would suggest waiting another 6 months, try to lose a little more weight and work hard at abdominal crunches to increase the muscle tone of your abdomen.

If you have more visibly loose skin after this effort and possibly a mini tummy tuck may be all that you need.

Based on your current photo a full tummy tuck would need to use a scar high on your lower abdomen because you do not have enough excess skin to place it lower in a hidden area.

For now I recommend she stay out of plastic surgeons offices because you may end up with an operation at you don't need any very long unpleasant scar on your currently attractive abdomen.

Tummy Tuck Or Liposuction After Baby

Thank you for the photos and questions. Based on the photos it does not appear that you enough loose skin for a full tummy tuck. You may have a rectus diastasis (abdominal muscle separation) and some excess abdominal fat. The presence of stretch marks indicates you have lost skin elasticity and liposuction alone may leave you with more loose skin. A mini-tummy tuck with repair of the abdominal muscles and judicious liposuction may be what you need. An in-person exam is necessary to come up with the proper surgical plan to get your pre-baby body back. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options and good luck!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction. This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction. They produce different degrees of improvement. Liposuction alone is an option, but it will not tighten the skin or the stretched abdominal musculature.

It is generally recommended that you complete having your family before undergoing any variation of a tummy tuck, since future pregnancies may undo the muscle correction.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on limited two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck

Thank you for the photos.  You have loose skin and probably some abdominal wall loosening.  Your best bet is a tummy tuck where the skin can be removed and the muscles tightened.  You will look great!  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD

Does it look like I need a tummy tuck? Or liposuction

I think you will be better off with a tummy tuck due ot the loose skin that will likely not tighten up with liposuction alone

Julio Garcia, MD

Post Baby Belly

I agree with Dr. Seckel if that tummy tuck scar is placed too high on your abdomen, where unfortunately most surgeons place it, due to misguided prioritization.  However, if you were to get a very low incision, at the border between thigh and abdomen, muscle tightening, aggressive defatting, and progressive tension sutures avoiding the need for drains, then this abdominoplasty would be worth it, and give you a very nice improvement. 

Interview a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that are going to talk about the things I just listed above. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Only tummy tuck will help you

Complete your family and then have a tummy tuck. Tummy tuck is the only procedure that helps your condition. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy tuck or Liposuction?

Hi Waves,

Thank you for your question and your photos.  You would achieve the best results with a tummy tuck.  The decision to have a tummy tuck verses a lesser procedure such as a mini tummy tuck or liposuction alone or even coolsculpting  is based on your specific circumstances. The desire for tight skin verses loose skin afterward, scar verses no scar or smaller scar, lLife style, activity levels, help at home  all play a role in your ultimate decision.  Please seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon who performs all procedures to help you make the decision which is best for you.  Undoubtedly a tummy tuck will create the best outcome, but you need to decide.  Best of Luck,  Beverly Friedlander, MD

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon