Need advice on what I should do? (photos)

Hello, I'm 21, 5'3, and weigh 131 lbs. My breasts are a 36D, and they have been giving me issues. I went to get checked last year and found out I have fibrocystic breast disease. It's been very painful, especially recently with my last period even though that has never happened before. Another thing to add is I'm just overall self conscious about my breast size. I want to know if there's anything I can do that can help with the pain and if I'm a good candidate for breast reduction? Thank you

Painful Breasts

Breast reduction surgery should help to relieve most of the pain that you are experiencing from your fibrocystic breast disease.   This surgery will reduce the size of your breasts, even out the volume, reshape your breasts and lift the position of your breasts and your nipples.  By just reducing your breast volume, you will have less fibrocystic breast tissue, which helps to reduce the pain.  You can also take anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc).  Some doctors also recommend oral contraceptives, which lower the levels of cycle-related hormones linked to fibrocystic breast changes.

Best Wishes!

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast reduction

I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon to determine if you qualify for a breast reduction.  Sometimes this procedure can be covered by insurance and a plastic surgeon should be able to determine if you are a candidate.  Otherwise you could pay for a breast reduction surgery, however it may or may not help with the pain associated with fibrocystic breasts.

Good luck,

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Need advice on what I should do?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. When a breast reduction is performed, a breast “lift” occurs as part of the procedure. Patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise. 

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.  I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question and the photos. Based upon your concerns a breast reduction would be your best option. A breast reduction will decrease the size of your breasts as well as lift them by removing the excess skin and reshaping the breast. Unfortunately, it will not have an effect on the fibrocystic issue. 

Based on your photos, your breasts are not as large as you might think. The pictures show mostly an excess skin issue. However, a small reduction would still be recommended. 

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon