Silicone or saline?

I keep going back and fourth with this. I need some serious opinions. I have picked my plastic surgeon and paid but cancel because I panicked. Now I'm ready to reschedule . I want upper pole fullness with a firm touch my surgeon favors silicon gels. I want saline because I do not want to have to get MRI every year. I'm a body builder very active if this helps. About 5'4 130 pounds 17 percent body fat off season. Thanks!

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Keep in Mind: MRI Isn't Mandatory

If the annual MRI guideline is the only factor that's giving you second thoughts about silicone, it's important to note that this is merely a suggestion. The FDA recommends an MRI screening 3 years after your breast augmentation, and then every 2 years after that. A yearly MRI is not mandatory.

For firmness, your surgeon is right to suggest silicone gel implants. Implant placement is also an important consideration: Given your active lifestyle, you'll need to plan for a longer healing period if you choose to place the implant under the muscle. I recommend a second opinion with a different board-certified plastic surgeon near you to learn more about your possibilities. 

Keep in Mind: MRI Isn't Mandatory

Silicone or saline

Your surgeon will discuss with you the benefits of both implant types, then If you still prefer saline implants, then you should make your preference known to your surgeon. 

An MRI does not have to be performed every year. Please note that the FDA recommends that you get an MRI 3 years after you receive your silicone implants, and then every 2 after that.

Silicone or saline

An Age-Old Question

The question of silicone versus saline is something that comes up with every patient, and it's certainly normal to go back and forth with your decision. Your surgeon is right to recommend silicone as the best option for creating a firm result. And keep in mind that the annual MRI is merely a guideline — not a requirement. In addition to implant material, you should be thinking of implant placement, especially if you are into bodybuilding. Placing the implants in front of your pectoral muscles, rather than behind them, will ensure that your implants don't interfere with your chest workouts. Silicone implants tend to do rather well above the muscle because they're not as prone to visible rippling as saline implants. However, even silicone implants may show rippling and visible edges if you have very little native breast tissue, and placing the implant above the muscle may make the implant more obvious and easy to feel. Of course, the choice is ultimately yours. 

An Age-Old Question

Silicone or saline?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions.It´s fine to  be afraid on the realization of your plastic surgery, that is  why you have to choose carefull your surgeon.  Congratulations to make this step again. According with my experience I used the implants of cohesive gel, them  will give you a natural and firm shape to your breasts.
best wishes.

Ramon Morales, MD

Silicone or saline?

best wishes.

Ramon Morales, MD

Saline vs Silicone, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting question.Breast lift with Augmentation with Saline or Silicone It is a very common question.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Saline vs Silicone, some advices:

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Both saline and silicone breast implants are great

Although silicone in some patients feel more life like saline is an alternative for many patients. The saline implant can be placed through a tiny incision. make sure you try on the implants in a tight bra and get 3-D Vectra imaging. see before and afters from the doc. see a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. Good luck

Saline versus Silicone Implants

In your situation, implant placement is just as important as choosing silicone or saline. For the majority of my patients, I recommend under the muscle placement with silicone implants for a more natural look, with a lower risk of complications. One of the few situations where I recommend going over the muscle, is if the patient is a body builder, such as yourself, and competing in a lot of shows where the pectoralis muscle is flexed. In that case, the muscle is very active and one gets a lot of animation with the implant. Because of this I definitely recommend silicone textured implants because due to the placement, you would have rippling if you used a saline implant, resulting in a less than aesthetically pleasing look.

Saline versus Silicone Implants

Saline vs Silicone Implants

For the firmer touch, the silicone implant is your better choice. In fact, it's typically the 'better' choice for many reasons.When a saline implant ruptures, it deflates immediately as the saline leaves the implant while a silicon implant rupture is less noticeable as the cohesive nature of silicone allows the implant to stay together. An MRI does detect the rupture, as you know.Overall, I prefer silicone to saline implants - they feel better and are likely to last longer, though silicone implants do require a larger incision than saline implants.If my wife wanted implants, I would advise her to get silicone.Continue to talk over your options with your plastic surgeon, and best wishes!

Saline vs Silicone Implants

Silicone vs saline

hello. I think you could choose either saline or silicone and it is best to be evaluated in a free consultation and examine each of the implants  and warranties. And answer all of your questions  We review positives and negatives of both implants.  Usually MRI is recommended every three years and not required for the silicone implants.  Good luck

Silicone vs saline